What The Hell Is Wrong With My Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blairh, Nov 10, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm on my forth Iphone in six weeks. Here is a quick backstory.

Owned my first 3G for 10 months. No big problems with the unit. Then suddenly I would go a whole day not receiving texts or phone calls made to my phone. My web would have no service. And all my music disappeared out of nowhere one day. Did a new restore via genius instructions. Problems continued, unit replaced with a service unit (what geniuses give you if they determine your phone issue is not of your doing and you are still under warranty).

After a week replacement unit mic was broken. People could not hear me talking on the phone. Phone was replaced with another unit.

Third unit's screen went fuzzy and then eventually white after a week of use. Hitting reset would return things to normal, but scrolling would eventually bring up the fuzzy screen again. Unit replaced by a genius.

So I'm on my forth phone right now. And of all the phones I've had, I have always had this one specific issue: podcasts act very buggy. I download podcasts directly onto my Iphone via a wifi connection (to avoid syncing with my MBP because it's quicker for me to do so). Sometimes when I go to delete a podcast, there is a five second pause, and then the podcast is deleted. Other times the podcast simply won't be deleted from my library when I attempt to do so unless I try at a later point. Also when playing a podcast, the top menu bar (time, date, etc.) will inadvertently move to the left or right side of the Iphone even though I'm it holding upright (where it should be sitting on the top).

Last night I went into my library to pull up a song after listening to a podcast and all my music was gone. Once again.

At this point I'm willing to swallow these bugs to avoid getting yet another phone. In the past, I had bigger issues than buggy podcasts and had to replace my phone. My current unit has worked fine (knock on wood) aside from the podcast issue. But still this is very frustrating and annoys me so much.

Here is my question for all of you: why does this keep happening? Is it my SIM card? Is it my MBP? I'm running the latest Mac & Iphone OS. I should also mention that these podcast issues always occurred in every service unit Apple has given me in the past six weeks.

Let me know what you think. As I said before, I can handle this issue as long as nothing more serious comes up. I'll just re-add my music accordingly (I have an "Iphone playlist" that I sync). Still I'm curious as to why this is happening repeatedly. Thanks.

2. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

When you look up do you see a little black rain cloud that follows your around?

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I would just say bad luck.
    Perhaps you should try restoring your iPhone, but after restoring it, don't restore it from a backup. That way, you're just running the Vanilla iPhone software.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Your fourth Iphone in six weeks? :eek:

I would have already been a nonbeliever after having problems the second Iphone in such a short period of time.

I would suggest you move on to another device as the Iphone Gods are not in your favor. ;)

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's really time to move on. You'll never be happy with the iPhone. Accept it. :cool:

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Four iPhones in six weeks? :eek:

Obviously self-inflicted problems! :D

7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I know it's a long post, but I felt it was important to explain everything that has gone down. If people don't feel like reading it, so be it.

None of my issues have been self inflicted. And no, this has nothing to do with me not being happy with the Iphone. I love the Iphone, when it works properly.

I'm holding off taking any further action unless absolutely necessary. Two nights ago I plugged my Iphone into my MBP. To my surprise, it recognized all the media I had previously on the Iphone (before it mysteriously disappeared a few days ago). After dismounting it, everything was back to normal. If that is all I need to do in the future to recover music that disappears from my Iphone, then I'll gladly do so.

I believe my issue is related to my MBP or my SIM card (with regards to my podcast issues). The other problems faced with the previous Iphone's (missing texts/emails, mic not working, screen turning fuzzy, then white) were indeed faulty Iphone units, not of my own doing.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've been having the disapearing music problem on my iPod touch ever since iTunes 9 came out. The music doesn't get deleted off the ipod, it's still there but ipod won't read the music library database. It seems iTunes 9 is a bit buggy about how it writes the database to the iPod. Resyncing with iTunes usually clears it up. I doubt this is related to your other problems with your iPhones.

9. sculfort macrumors member