Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want a MBA USB SUPER DRIVE ???

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Could someone please explain the difference between ultraportable and portable? And maybe how these differences would stack up if you were, say, carrying a laptop around all day?

portable = can easily take it with you to most places of business without undue stress or strain

ultraportable = portable + illusion that you'll get more chicks because you have an expensive computer

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Could someone please explain the difference between ultraportable and portable? And maybe how these differences would stack up if you were, say, carrying a laptop around all day?

There truly isn't one in this case. The OP is just making a fool of himself by saying "OMC, I need an ultraportable for college, not a portable (understood ", you idiots!")!" The distinction between the two as per Apple products is two pounds. If he enjoys DVDs as much as he says and needs the extra ports he should have gotten a MacBook instead of trying to look "cool", "rich"*, and "impressive" at college. Of course, I'll be getting the best of both worlds: A 3.2 Mac Pro (1.32TB/6GB/2 8800 GT with a BD/HD-DVD combo drive)* and my iBook that I already have. So I can't complain. But why would I want to? :D

Saltyzoo, you win. Exactly what I said.

*Oh, and what I said about "rich" earlier... this'll be all of my own money. I almost have enough... Retirement homes pay well!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
haha

portable = can easily take it with you to most places of business without undue stress or strain

ultraportable = portable + illusion that you'll get more chicks because you have an expensive computer

Well done.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I humbly apologise to our dear USA allies - their fond illusion that us Brits know how to use the English language has been sadly and cruelly shattered.

To lewis, may I suggest that having a 'hawt' laptop will not help with university essay writing. Also the shift and '!' key on your new MBA seem to be having problems.

Why the hell did apple not put USB Ports on the MBA Supersdrive.When you lokk at the superdrive i am sure they could have fitted a couple of USB PORTS on the side or the back. Save us carrying around a chunky USB Hub !!!!! So a 3 pound laptop is now a 5 pound laptop with the superdrive,usb hub,ethernet adaptor and other !!!!!!! WHY APPLE WHY ???? ANY SUGGESTIANS ???

I USE IT FOR UNI SO I NEED CD/DVD DRIVE. UNLIKE STEVE JOBS I STILL WATCH DVS BECAUSE ITUNES IN THE UK DONT SELL OR RENT MOVIES:mad:

kk guys thanks for u comments i will enjoy the MBA and hope for mba super usb drive !!!! and movies coming to the uk store !!!! and appleretailguy the MBA is the only ultraportable apple makes the other are just portable. anyway it more about the weight !!!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks!

I humbly apologise to our dear USA allies - their fond illusion that us Brits know how to use the English language has been sadly and cruelly shattered.

To lewis, may I suggest that having a 'hawt' laptop will not help with university essay writing. Also the shift and '!' key on your new MBA seem to be having problems.

Thanks so much for your words. I was under the impression that every British kid had a stellar grasp of the English language (it WAS invented there, right), so it was tough to stomach the fact that grammar is slowly eroding on a worldwide scale, not just right here in the US.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!

Don't worry...the NSA heard his screaming through the 'tubes, and he's now on the terror watch list for "crimes against literacy". It'll get him a taxpayer-funded cavity search at most US airports should he ever try to bring his "OMG!!!111! UNI!!>!??!"-educated *ahem* cavity over here.

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
kk guys thanks for u comments i will enjoy the MBA and hope for mba super usb drive !!!! and movies coming to the uk store !!!! and appleretailguy the MBA is the only ultraportable apple makes the other are just portable. anyway it more about the weight !!!

maybe instead of getting a MBA, you should have gotten a MB and a gym membership.

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
For those asking about the MBA Superdrive...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/confirmed-macbook-air-superdrive-does-not-work-with-other-machi/

According to Engadget, the MBA Superdrive will not work on a powered hub. The USB port on the MBA has extra power going through it to power the MBA Superdrive, which means that it won't work on other computers/laptops either.

It's a sad day when someone says a MacBook or MacBook Pro isn't portable enough, considering they're some of the lightest notebook computers on the market. Sigh. :rolleyes:

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
PORTABLE : A portable computer is a computer that is designed to be moved from one place to another (in other words, it is a computer that is portable). Portable computers, by their nature, are microcomputers. Early portables were unkindly referred to as "luggables," referring to their great size and weight (owing partly to the need to include a full-blown CRT monitor, as LCD technology was not yet mature). The term "luggable" is today used mainly when speaking of 17" and larger widescreen laptops.

ULTRAPORTABLE/SUBNOTEBOOK :A subnotebook is a small and lightweight portable computer, with most of the features of a standard notebook computer but smaller. The term is often applied to systems that run full versions of desktop operating systems such as Windows or Linux, rather than specialized software such as Windows CE, Palm OS or Maemo

HOPE THAT HELPS

How do you turn on spell check ? it comes up with the red and green lines but i don't no how to correct them ???:confused:

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
For those asking about the MBA Superdrive...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/confirmed-macbook-air-superdrive-does-not-work-with-other-machi/

According to Engadget, the MBA Superdrive will not work on a powered hub. The USB port on the MBA has extra power going through it to power the MBA Superdrive, which means that it won't work on other computers/laptops either.

It's a sad day when someone says a MacBook or MacBook Pro isn't portable enough, considering they're some of the lightest notebook computers on the market. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I'm finding that hard to believe. If true, it's astoundingly bad design.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

PORTABLE : A portable computer is a computer that is designed to be moved from one place to another (in other words, it is a computer that is portable). Portable computers, by their nature, are microcomputers. Early portables were unkindly referred to as "luggables," referring to their great size and weight (owing partly to the need to include a full-blown CRT monitor, as LCD technology was not yet mature). The term "luggable" is today used mainly when speaking of 17" and larger widescreen laptops.

ULTRAPORTABLE/SUBNOTEBOOK :A subnotebook is a small and lightweight portable computer, with most of the features of a standard notebook computer but smaller. The term is often applied to systems that run full versions of desktop operating systems such as Windows or Linux, rather than specialized software such as Windows CE, Palm OS or Maemo

HOPE THAT HELPS

I was being facetious, but thanks for the information.

mgrad92

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007

It's, like, portable to an ultra extent. Even more portable than megaportable.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I love these threads too, but sometimes wonder if We Have Been Trolled (WHBT). Or alternately, if Apple's increase in market share suddenly put me in some dubious company. I actually wonder the latter quite often on here. :D

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN

What are you studying? / Wot r u studying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.