What the iPhone 5c could have been.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Nov 23, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

With Foxconn stopping production of the 5c and the 5s outselling it 3 to 1, one has to think that there were some serious mistakes in both the marketing and pricing of the 5c.

I know that Apple never said that they never had any intention of releasing a low cost iphone, that they don't to sacrifice quality yada yada yada...

But I think that they could have lowered the costs no worries if instead of putting in iPhone 5 internals they should have made the phone another $100 cheaper and maybe put 4s internals in instead.

Apple has always done a good job and telling consumers what they want, instead of listening to what we want, but there judgements are slipping, they need to listen more to what the market is demanding.

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Apple isn't going to compete on pricing, and they never have. If you want a free phone, get a 4S. Otherwise $100 for a 5C isn't bad, and most places are selling them for less than that. This drum has been beat to death already; i expect a mod to close this thread soon. Just because more people are buying the 5S than the 5C doesn't make the 5C a failure.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Mods should close it before it turns into what it should... An argument. The 5c is outselling last years 4s and just as well as the 5 would have. I'm tired of hearing about it honestly. Choose what you want and others can choose there's

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The OP is not an original thought. Not even a well worked repackaging of what has been discussed ad nauseam.

(To be fair, my response is also not an original thought. Not even a well worked repackaging of what has been responded to ad nauseam.)

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Lol funny

6. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

We won't know if Apple deemed it a failure until next year if they follow the same strategy or not. They never publicized their sales goals for the 5C so all this gloom and doom is pure rumor and speculation, just like how Apple was making a low cost phone was pure rumor and speculation.

Cutting back on production doesn't necessarily mean it's a failure. There were rumors on low yield rates on the Touch ID sensors, so 5S production was limited by that. Instead of factory lines running at reduced capacity and risking constrained inventory of both phones at launch and into the holiday season, they probably just had the factories run at full tilt with making the 5C until the 5S production could be increased. It's possible that now the Touch ID sensor yield has improved so they're cutting back 5C production in favor of 5S. The 5C is nicely stocked now at all retailers in time for the holidays and they are ramping up 5S production to try to do the same.

The 5S is the flagship device and is SUPPOSED to sell at multiple times the numbers of the 5C. Early reports stated that the 5C is selling better than the 4S did at the time of the 5 launch last year, so by that account Apple succeeded. Of course, Apple never releases the numbers so everything, again, is pure speculation.