What the iPod touch NEEDS: Starcraft

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by fusionstudios, Feb 7, 2008.

1. fusionstudios macrumors member

fusionstudios

I was playing Starcraft the other day when all of a sudden it hit me...the iPod touch interface would work BRILLIANTLY with this game. I say we have a little competition of sorts and offer some sort of cash reward to the programmer who hacks the game first. I'll throw in 20 bucks. Who's with me?:D

2. doomnote macrumors newbie

I'd have to disagree with you there - the screen would be much to small to play Starcraft. Once you factor in the command consoles and stuff you aren't left with much playing space. It would be too hard to see...

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

good luck microing an army of terrans on a 3.5" touchscreen...

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

The only need the iPod touch needs is ...well, nothing, just our wants. Its good as is, but we always want more. As for gaming on the touch, I only see it be good for simple games like Sudoku or free cell. Bigger games require better handling and the DS and PSP does that with the button layout.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've tried to play RTS games on PDAs before, and it's just not fun. There's a couple that work well enough, but the sacrifices they make cut into the fun factor.

What I'd like to see is a turn based strategy game like Advance Wars with internet multiplayer. The multitouch screen would be great for turn based games, and the internet play would be really fun.

6. Kynro macrumors newbie

I'd also have to disagree with you, I can just picture how squashed everything would be on the screen - unless you somehow put the minimal amount of commands on the screen until you tap something..Yeah, good luck.

On a side note: I've played a Guitar Hero style game on the iTouch and it works very well.

7. BassistKing1 macrumors member

well obviously u wouldnt be porting the exact game, cuz its not even open source to begin with. if someone ports it or writes a new version, they will make it "ipod" specific, and obviously wont be the same as the computer version, and will probly have different controls and layouts, and maybe even completely different looks if they just write their own version.

8. Da Dealer macrumors newbie

actually the bigger games for ipod work well with it i think star craft would be great for the ipod

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do have to agree. The biggest problem with the iPod for gaming, is that your fingers cover an awful lot of the display. I couldn't even imagine playing something as complex as Starcraft on a tiny screen with fingers all over the place.

10. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yeah cause the iPod touch will easily let you get 300+ APM.

No offence, but if you think the iPod touch is good for Starcraft, you are a mega noob. You probably have not truly realized what the essence of Starcraft is.

That said, maybe a very simple version of it might just work. Probably with a simplified control system. But then that won't be Starcraft any more.

It is not a matter of simply "hacking" the game. There is no source code. So someone will have to completely reverse engineer (this is no easy task) or rewrite the whole game.

The current iPod touch hasn't the hardware to run Starcraft under an emulation layer. In 5 - 10 years, maybe. Even if it could, you still have the control system problem.

11. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I think Korea would kill themselves over how uncompetitive and annoying it would be. I'm not kidding... you can't use hotkeys, your APM would be terrible, and microing... ouch. In terms of competitive gameplay RTS the only place is on a computer, not a mobile device. Hell, just look at Starcraft 64 back in the day. Painful.

12. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Haha. Korea would probably send secret agents over to assassinate the OP for even suggesting the idea. Yes they take their Starcraft that seriously.

:D

13. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

LMFAO! Maybe for iPad, but I think Starcraft is too small for iPod touch.

14. iMiiTH macrumors newbie

It would work, kinda, if the iphone had a keyboard.

What's starcraft without hotkeys?

15. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502