What the!?? iTunes Hijacks Song Download!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Small White Car, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So my wife is on the sofa browsing the iTunes store on her iPod Touch and bought an album to listen to.

A moment after it starts, I notice that iTunes (on the Mac) is downloading her album. Ok, "that's kind of cool," I think. It decided to put it on the computer too, I guess.

But wait...it's wasn't ALSO putting it on the computer, it was ONLY putting it on the computer. She gets a note on the iPod saying that her songs have been downloaded by iTunes.

WTF? Now she's trying to listen to the songs she just downloaded, but she doesn't have them! She has to come over and sync with the computer to get them.

Why? What? Huh? :confused: Who thought this was a good idea!? Apple thought that just because she was downloading using the iPod, it means she doesn't want to listen to the songs on the iPod?

Anyone else experience this? Why would it work this way?

2. MacBook MH macrumors member

Yeah that happens. I did not experience it, but it could be a glitch. Try to back up your iPod Touch, download iPod reset utility, COMPLETELY reset it, connect with iTunes load the NEWEST software and update.
    PLZ write back if it works or not, if not I will tell you another way.

Bye

-MacBook MH-

3. brax.j macrumors regular

It downloads that way when you download a whole album if she was to download a single song it would have gone strait to the iPod. It does this so download times aren't super long.

4. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

no, I downloaded a single song once and it was right as I was opening itunes, and so itunes downloaded it rather than my ipod. I got that same note as the OP did. It seems kind of pointless

Zym

5. MacBook MH macrumors member

Oh so you mean you were connected by a cable to the Mac or whatever?

6. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I wasn't. I was only connected via wifi

Zym

7. brax.j macrumors regular

I don't think it should have when I go to work Monday I will look up what should happen when you download a song.

8. MacBook MH macrumors member

And have you got something installed on the iPod like remote or some sharing program that allow you to access your iPod as a memory stick over wifi?
    And what OS are you an Mac or Windows?

9. ckd macrumors member

Is her iTunes set to automatically check the store for new purchased content (like for TV seasons or the like)? I wonder if it might have just been bad timing; the purchase was made, and iTunes started downloading it before the iPod could.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

in the whole time I've had my 1g iPod its always been if you purchase on the iPod then you need to sync with pc/mac before they appear in iTunes (but you can also download them seperately from iPod in iTunes. If I buy via desktop iTunes then I need to sync iPod before they appear on the iPod

11. NinjaKid macrumors member

AppleTV does it also

On my AppleTV sync setup I have it set to only Sync specific items, I guess your Ipod is setup the same way. When you download a item to the AppleTV or Ipod with this setup, the AppleTV or Iphone will sync its purchase to the computer and since this new song or video is not selected in your sync setting in itunes the item gets removed from the device. You then have to tell Itunes to sync the item to the AppleTV or Ipod. What apple should be doing is to add a option to sync and leave on device for new items and remove only on next sync, this way once it syncs to itunes you have a chance to add it to the allow sync list. While this is not a big deal for the ipod devices because you would be at the computer during the sync and the files are not that large but with AppleTV you are dealing with files 2 to 3 hundred megs in size and it is a big waste of time and bandwidth.

12. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I'm going to assume it downloads it to iTunes so it's not stuck on your iPod. I'm not sure if you can take music off of the iPod touch (never tried), but I know can't take music off of other iPods. Just a guess really.

13. chrish2os macrumors newbie

Check your preferences. iTunes > Preferences > Store > Is there a checkmark next to Automatically Check for Available downloads??

If so - when she purchased the album it added it to your pending downloads queue and it appears that your computer got to it before the iPod Touch did.

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you think about it - why would she be on iTunes Store on her iPod touch if she was in the same house as a computer?

i know i know... just saying.

15. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I was using the computer.

Sorry I was away for so long, thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think chrish2os has it right, it's probably one of those 2 settings in there. I'm afraid to turn them off lest we end up missing something, so we're just going to leave them on and put up with any annoyances that arise because of it.

Thanks!