Resolved What The **** Just Happened? (EFI Update)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by b-rad g, Feb 13, 2012.

1. b-rad g, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

My first "what the **** just happened?" moment with a Mac.

I just installed the EFI update for my Air through software update and it went super quick and went to reboot. That's when the fecal matter hit the fan.

As soon as it shut down I got a loud 5 second buzzer. I started to freak and then it stopped and about 3 seconds later I hear the startup chime. I think that maybe it was just a freak thing and hope it all boots up fine. It doesn't. The boot screens comes up with the Apple logo and a progress bar underneath. But as soon as I see it, it shut down againg and goes into a resart cycle where it chimes, the boot screen pops up and then restarts over and over again.

I did the only thing I could think of doing which was to hold the power button down until it stopped trying to boot up, which it did. So then I hit the power button again to see if it will do the same thing before I call Apple. Well it boots up fine and everything powered up normally and seems ok, but what the heck was all that about???

Should I call Apple and see what they say?

----------

Just noticed that it looks like the EFI Update did NOT install. It is still showing up under Software Update.

What should I do? Try it again?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Happened to me a while back updating the EFI on an iMac... honestly, I think it's not much of an issue - outside of mildly alarming behavior.

Did your EFI update succeed?

Edit: Make sure battery is charged, and power is plugged in, too. Possible you have a corrupted updater, or incorrect version?

3. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

No the update did not install as it is still in Software Update.

Should I try it again?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd try it again. Just to be safe, take a backup of your main drive in case something happens, but I'm guessing it will take this time. Perhaps it got interrupted and didn't install properly.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

While not directly related - I had a similar experience with a Dell laptop (at work). Had some BIOS / firmware related issues - but I could not install the most current software. I had to go back, and install the previous (5) updates first - THEN it finally took the upgrade.

Originally thought I had a corrupted updater, or wrong version - but in that case, it was from the system having software that was too far behind...

6. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Just tried it again and the exact same thing happened. It will not install and gives a loud buzz and starts the restart cycle until I hold the power button down. I guess this might be a call to Apple or a Genius Bar visit.

Good thing I bought the extra AppleCare the other day.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Have you just let it run its course? You may be aborting it mid-cycle, by holding the power button.

8. s1ns macrumors newbie

happened to me to. It doesn't want to boot up after installing there is a loud buzz it keeps turning off in the middle of apple logo boot screen. I got freaked out as the last back up to my time capsule was like 1 month ago. after several times trying its working normally.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

This may be true. Which model do you have? I think that one of the EFI updates for the 2010 or 2011 model actually said it would beep midway through, but that it would reboot by itself and finish installing the update.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Don't forget you have to be plugged in for an EFI update to work.

11. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Why on earth did you powered off the machine while it was performing the actual efi update ? That's what the progress bar is for.

12. jwm2 macrumors regular

He didn't shut it down, it shut down, as in by itself.

13. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

No it shuts down as soon as the progress bar comes up and goes into the restart cycle and doesn't stop until I hold the power button down.

----------

It's a Late 2010. Looked at the update and it's the correct one for it. Will try one more time before making a call. Thanks for all the help guys.

----------

Well after this last try I got the loud buzzer and after about 3 restarts at the progress bar (by itself I purposly did not touch anything) it is now about 3/4 of the way done with the progress bar and looks like everything is back to normal.

It has now rebooted after updating and everything looks good, so I don't know what happened but that was not cool.

Thanks for the replies!

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Beeping and restarts are normal during a Firmware update.

Turning off the laptop during a Firmware update can brick the laptop.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I just did that update on my iMac. The beep scared the bejesus out of me!

Went ok though *touch wood*

16. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

In that little box that tells you what is gonna happen during the update it should also say something about the loud beep and multiple restarts back to back.

My Mac Mini did not do this with it's EFI Update.

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That is probably a good idea.

18. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

You guys need to learn some patience and also learn to use your reading skills.

Apple CLEARLY instructs you to plug in the computer to a power source.

If you do this, it'll beep once and get on with it. Done. Easy.

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Is the EFI really even needed?

I have a Lion USB recovery stick.

20. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

BENJMNS,

The Air was plugged in the entire time I tried the update. Did you even read the above posts? I even mentioned the box that pops up about what will happen while it's updating. Even though mine was plugged in it still went into a crazy restarting cycle that I had never seen before, and did not seem normal.

Mods please feel free to close thread.