What the Macbook Air really means...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syphern, Jan 16, 2008.

1. syphern macrumors 6502

Ok here is my point of view...

MBA is quite an amazing feat of engineering. Making the worlds thinnest laptop is one trophy Apple wants to hold, and they have done!

But... as with all Apple products the real innovation will start on it MBA rev. 2 then 3 then 4 etc etc.

This has been the same with Mac Mini, remember when it first came out it only had 2 USB's the new version has 4 same with the Ipod same architecture but upgraded and improved on small details over time!

In about 3ish years time I would imagine the Air to be an amazing machine, a few hardware changes more collapsable ports ethernet, more USB ports, firewire etc.

The hard drive will certainly be improved solid state drive as standard. Possibly a better GFX card faster processor.

And therefore it will start to be a much more appreciated machine. I do agree with the majority now MBA is not worth buying but knowing apple they have established a product which can easily be improved gradually hence more sales in the future. Its just business tactics... they have supplied, the fans demand a new features they will supply that, demand, supply etc. Thats how apple has always worked and so has any other major corp.

2. kg1984 macrumors member

Some sense at last!

I agree with this post, and would definitely think about an MBA in the future. Right now, my MB is more than suitable, but thinking about the revisions Apple will make to the MBA makes me drool.

3. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

the most worrisome lack of technology is the firewire, that is precisely what they did with the ipod when it "blew up" so to speak. I don't want to sound elitist, but this was not made for the mac faithful, it was made for switchers. Something sexy without the real meat of what made a mac a mac.

more people switching = larger user base = haters = viruses, sadly

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Pricing the Macbook Air between the Macbook and the Pro is like pricing the Mac mini between the iMac and the Mac Pro. Until they either 1.) fix this discrepancy, or 2.) beef up its stats, the MBA will continue to be ignored by the majority of people considering an Apple laptop.