What the Macbook Pro should have

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Apr 13, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Hi guys, 2 weeks ago I purchased my first Apple laptop - the Macbook Pro 13", before that (and still sometimes) I used PC. Even though the design is great, there are things that could be done to make it perfect. Here is my list, please tell me what you think about it.

1 - A delete button one the keyboard, I noticed that the Macbook Pro doesn't have one before purchasing it, but after using if for 2 weeks noticed how important it is.

2 - The 2 USB ports are quite inconvenient because they are next to each other, it would be more convenient if they are from both sides instead, like Macbook Air. I have devises that are a bit wider than the other ones, so when one of these is plugged in, the other USB port is unusable. Speaking of which USB 2.0 isn't good! The ThunderBolt port is great but there are no devises yet that can take any advantage of it, so in the meantime USB 3.0 would be great.

3 - HDMI port - most of the laptops already have it, I don't see why none of the Macbooks has it. If I want to connect my Macbook Pro to my TV, I have to spend extra money on MiniDisplay to HDMI adaptor (it's not like Apple products are any cheep, so spending extra money on things that should have been there on first place is NOT good).

4 - Numerical Keyboard - I know there is no room for it, but a button like Caps Lock could be used, when it's pressed certain buttons from the keyboard could act only as numerical keyboard and when pressed again, the keyboard could be back to normal.

5 - The screen resolution of the 13" Macbook Pro should have been like the 13" Macbook Air.

6 - The CD Drive is unnecessary, nobody uses it nowadays. Nobody listens to music from a CD and nobody installs any software from a CD, everyone uses the Internet for these things, the little part of people who are still using CDs, DVDs, etc. have other devises such as: DVD or Blue-ray players, HiFi systems and Desktops. The room that is taken by the Optical Disk could be used for a bigger battery.

7 - Better cooling system - when watching a move the laptop gets so hot that I literally can't put it on my lap (lol what a paradox, a laptop that cannot be put on a lap), also I would love to be able to close the lid and leave the laptop works (it is great when downloading big files or scanning software is used), but with that cooling system I'm afraid that it would overheat.

8 - Last but not least - The screen bezel. It's too big, Macbooks should be bezelless, it would make them much better looking.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree with you on the screen resolution. I bet the next revision improves this a bit.

I'd also like the option to include discrete graphics. Yes, this may make it as expensive as the low end 15, but some of us like the portability of the 13.

3. squeakr, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You want us to tell you what we think. Here's my opinion, I think Macs are not for you. Take it back and get a netbook. You can get one that has pretty much everything you want (and don't want) on it already and at a significantly lower price. Problem solved. Not being a fanboy, just seems that Macs aren't your cup of tea and nothing wrong with that (I like Windows products as well, just like OS X better).

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I totally agree.
    Apple needs to add a Blu-ray drive on the MBPs and iMacs.
    Which will never happen or for a pretty long time.

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Disagree completely. If you have no need for an optical drive, take yours out and optibay hack it. As for mine, leave it there. I like the ease of popping in a DVD when I'd like, without having to carry around an external drive.

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use my optical drive all the time. I watch DVDs from Netflix. Also use it for CD/DVD burning. An external drive would be very cumbersome.

Also, there is a forward delete key: press fn + Delete.

7. leman macrumors 604

Few comments.

It has one. fn+Del

Hardly doable because of the internal physical constrains. Between the place occupied by the optical drive and the battery, there is nothing where another port could be placed. Also, USB3 requires an additional chip, and there is no place on the mainboard anyway.

Again, the space constrains. Anyway, I see no reason for HDMI if you have a much better port anyway. Apple should give the adapters for free with each laptop though, but they are greedy :)

Why would you need something like that?

Agree

Agree. I have never used my CD drive on the MBP. Internet and flash memory make CD burning obsolete

The cooling system is fine. It gets hot because the components produce much heat.

It should be a bit thinner, yes, but not bezelless. A bezel is important, without it the human brain would have difficulties focusing on the screen.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

USB problem: you get little cables that allow you to plug in your wide devices without obscuring the other port

DVD drive - many people still buy DVDs and music CDs. Some of us care about music quality and simply downloading compressed songs is not good enough. I like to make lossless copies of my music.

9. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i think the 2007 non unibody macbook pro had the numerical keyboard thing, like the f6 key was a numbers key, turning 10 keys to numbers. i used to use it a lot back then, now i use my iphone with an app. but mostly i dont need a numerical keyboard

I pretty much agree with the rest :D. a BTO to have no optical drive and instead a HDD or larger battery would be awesome :)

10. tokyovigilante macrumors newbie

DoubleCommand lets you remap the right Option key to forward delete. Pretty useful.

I've been using an Optibay clone (eBay) to replace it with an SSD in my last to 15" Pros, and my girlfriend's 13". Best upgrade EVER.