What the.....My nano is aging prematurely!

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
130
0
I got a new nano a couple weeks ago, since then I have only used it for walking to class, I just throw it in my jean pocket and go. However, in a short period of time I notice a lot of scratching. I suppose considering that it has an acrylic coat on the face I should of expected this, but in only a week of use it is really noticable. Since apple does not have any sleeves out for the nano yet I am just curous if others have experienced the same problem and what product I might be able to pick up so I can buff it out?
 

xyouxfailmiex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
48
0
shane-o-mac said:
I got a new nano a couple weeks ago, since then I have only used it for walking to class, I just throw it in my jean pocket and go. However, in a short period of time I notice a lot of scratching. I suppose considering that it has an acrylic coat on the face I should of expected this, but in only a week of use it is really noticable. Since apple does not have any sleeves out for the nano yet I am just curous if others have experienced the same problem and what product I might be able to pick up so I can buff it out?
how big is the rock youve been hiding under for the past month???
 

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
439
0
xyouxfailmiex said:
how big is the rock youve been hiding under for the past month???
that was an extremely rude thing for you to say. these forums are to help people not to just type nonsense responses to them.

to answer your question, apple has had some problems with the plastics used on the nano...some type of manufacturing flaw...there is no real action you can take yet for replacing your nano due to excessive scratching, since apple is currently only accepting nanos that have cracked lcds, which has determined to be an engineering flaw in a very small percentage of consumers. my best advice is to protect it from any more scratches and wait and see how this plays out...the worst that could happen is that you stay with your current nano and buy a case or plastic cleaner for it to either hide or remove the scratches. hope this helped.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
_Matt said:
to answer your question, apple has had some problems with the plastics used on the nano...some type of manufacturing flaw...there is no real action you can take yet for replacing your nano due to excessive scratching, since apple is currently only accepting nanos that have cracked lcds, which has determined to be an engineering flaw in a very small percentage of consumers. my best advice is to protect it from any more scratches and wait and see how this plays out...the worst that could happen is that you stay with your current nano and buy a case or plastic cleaner for it to either hide or remove the scratches. hope this helped.
Sorry to hear about your problem shane-o-mac. I would try to follow _Matt's advice to further protect your iPod Nano from any more harm/damage.
 

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,317
0
I live in a giant bucket!
_Matt said:
that was an extremely rude thing for you to say. these forums are to help people not to just type nonsense responses to them.
It might have been rude but I was thinking the exact same thing. He just said it.

I highly doubt he did a search before creating this thread. Or look on the main page.
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
Dr. Dastardly said:
It might have been rude but I was thinking the exact same thing. He just said it.

I highly doubt he did a search before creating this thread. Or look on the main page.
Yeah i almost posted something along those lines as well.

But i would get a case for it as soon as you can to stop any future scratches
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
_Matt said:
that was an extremely rude thing for you to say. these forums are to help people not to just type nonsense responses to them.

to answer your question, apple has had some problems with the plastics used on the nano...some type of manufacturing flaw...there is no real action you can take yet for replacing your nano due to excessive scratching, since apple is currently only accepting nanos that have cracked lcds, which has determined to be an engineering flaw in a very small percentage of consumers. my best advice is to protect it from any more scratches and wait and see how this plays out...the worst that could happen is that you stay with your current nano and buy a case or plastic cleaner for it to either hide or remove the scratches. hope this helped.
Im gona go with funny actually very funny its not really that rude its kinda true nano scratching has been all over for since the day after they were realeased.
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,321
297
Hopefully the Gen. 5 iPods will have some type of better casing, where they don't scratch as much. My 30GB iPod photo is just ... ugh, in bad shape.
 

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
1,578
117
Los Angeles, California
_Matt said:
that was an extremely rude thing for you to say. these forums are to help people not to just type nonsense responses to them.
sadly, thats what public forums are, people wanna feel good about themselves "ha ha ha, omgz you guys, i posted this funny thing on a Mac forums were we like talk about rumors and tech help and omg, i was 1337. so funny, i like shamed the guy and yea! pwnd! omg"
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
My black Nano devleoped spots(they were slightly white on the black) probably from some tea that got splashed on it they looked like the spots my grandma has on her hands.....

anyway i tried to clean them off with everything...No sucess......so i had to live with them......

Until i exchanged it for a new shiny Nano due to my original one developing a fault with the battery, luckily i took it back within the 14 day return period so they straight swapped it for a new one....

Anyway i think we will all have to live with the fact that black nano's are going to be very prone to scratches and any other marks for that matter,

ShadoW
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
illegalprelude said:
sadly, thats what public forums are, people wanna feel good about themselves "ha ha ha, omgz you guys, i posted this funny thing on a Mac forums were we like talk about rumors and tech help and omg, i was 1337. so funny, i like shamed the guy and yea! pwnd! omg"
Linkety
Linkety #2

So, thankfully, that's what public forums aren't.
 

xyouxfailmiex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
48
0
illegalprelude said:
sadly, thats what public forums are, people wanna feel good about themselves "ha ha ha, omgz you guys, i posted this funny thing on a Mac forums were we like talk about rumors and tech help and omg, i was 1337. so funny, i like shamed the guy and yea! pwnd! omg"
you are right i stayed up all night waiting for pats on the back from everyone....
:rolleyes:


i dont think i was rude , but every single thread started is about how crappy nanos are...so to me i thought it was funny....but hey not everyone will think its funny
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
xyouxfailmiex said:
you are right i stayed up all night waiting for pats on the back from everyone....
:rolleyes:


i dont think i was rude , but every single thread started is about how crappy nanos are...so to me i thought it was funny....but hey not everyone will think its funny
You got my vote. :D

Anyway to the original poster... try searching for Brasso and iPod nano on google. There has been a guide to getting the Nano look LIKE NEW. So you'd get a second chance to put on some coating. I'd recommend this
 

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
378
0
MO
short term solution

has anyone thought about getting one of those little pda-screen-protector things. like the little film piece they sell for pdas.

you could cut one down and apply that to the screen of your ipod. then it doesnt get scratched.

maybe an interim solution until the cases get out on the market.

maybe next time apple will have the cases ready for release the same time they release the product. (obviously that doesn't help anyone right now)

just a thought,
calfer
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
jmsait19 said:
has anyone thought about getting one of those little pda-screen-protector things. like the little film piece they sell for pdas.

you could cut one down and apply that to the screen of your ipod. then it doesnt get scratched.

maybe an interim solution until the cases get out on the market.

maybe next time apple will have the cases ready for release the same time they release the product. (obviously that doesn't help anyone right now)

just a thought,
calfer
Just use something like a posted... there are options available... not from Apple though.
 

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
1,051
4
Here and there!
If you've got the money, a ColorWare paint job is a great option too. I bought my 40GB 4G last August, and it looks brand-new. They use a clear coat that won't scratch as well as the standard. I don't know if they will just do the clear coat and not the paint, or if they paint Nanos yet, but it's worth a shot.
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,341
0
Bay Area, CA
_Matt said:
to answer your question, apple has had some problems with the plastics used on the nano...some type of manufacturing flaw...
There is no manufacturing flaw with the plastic. It just scratches. So do sunglasses. They have a PR problem with people trying to create a technical fault where there is none. They might be pressured to change the design, but there's nothing wrong with the polycarbonate.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,589
31
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by matticus008
There is no manufacturing flaw with the plastic. It just scratches. So do sunglasses. They have a PR problem with people trying to create a technical fault where there is none. They might be pressured to change the design, but there's nothing wrong with the polycarbonate.
There was a flaw in 1/10 of one percent of the screens, that is why Apple is agreeing to replace the cracked screens. I'm not sure which plastic you are talking about, the screen or the case.
 

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
1,009
0
matticus008 said:
There is no manufacturing flaw with the plastic. It just scratches. So do sunglasses.
So does my 4G iPod and ibook G4. I think the black shows scratches a little more than the white, though.
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,341
0
Bay Area, CA
EricNau said:
There was a flaw in 1/10 of one percent of the screens, that is why Apple is agreeing to replace the cracked screens. I'm not sure which plastic you are talking about, the screen or the case.
That was an engineering flaw in the screens (which are not plastic). The actual covering of the iPod is fine. It scratches and smudges like all the others, but the black ones look worse because of the contrast.

The first is an acknowledged flaw (the bad screens), and the second is problematic perception and nothing more.
 

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
559
0
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
shane-o-mac said:
I got a new nano a couple weeks ago, since then I have only used it for walking to class, I just throw it in my jean pocket and go. However, in a short period of time I notice a lot of scratching. I suppose considering that it has an acrylic coat on the face I should of expected this, but in only a week of use it is really noticable. Since apple does not have any sleeves out for the nano yet I am just curous if others have experienced the same problem and what product I might be able to pick up so I can buff it out?
It's called progeria. Rare genetic disorder, very tragic. Here's a link.

;)