iPad Pro What the new iPad Pro is missing.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marddin, Sep 9, 2015.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I've been waiting for an apple tablet with OS X or some fusion of OS X and iOS since the beginning. I was really hoping to get full or some OS X support on the iPad pro but I was sadly mistaken.

New iPad Pro with OS X would be absolutely magical.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

The surface looks like a good product. I just wish Apple made an OS X version. Many staff in my office use surface pro with dock and it's really awesome. Again, I prefer OS X though.

4. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Whats it Missing Or Whats Wrong with it.

#1. Only need 2 Speakers ditch the other 2 make room for More battery.
    #2. OLED Display
    #3. 3D Force Touch, Never buy 1st gen Apple Products. Next Years iPad Pro 2 will be far superior
    #4. Apple will never allow it to Run Max OSX NEVER it will kill their MacBook Sales. And cost them Billions in lost sales
    #5. a Port. why can't I have a Display port to out put 4K Content to my HDTV its needs a Port.
    #6. RAM How much RAM does it have I am guessing 3GB but what type of RAM DDR3 or DDR4 ? if it has 2GB of RAM I'll literally laugh.

5. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I agree with everything you mentioned above. It's unfortunate.

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Not only that, OS X doesn't run on ARM chips, and never will, or it will cause confusion with people when their app runs on their Mac but not on their big-ass iPad not realizing the CPU architecture is totally different and totally not compatible. iOS needs a proper file system with a Finder-esque system.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Has anyone tried to do a Surface hackintosh yet?

8. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I could live with that. That's really what's missing at the core. The iPad, currently, is just a big iphone.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Awesome. How do you do split screen multitasking with your iPhone? I can't seem to get it on mine. And that whole cursor thing with the keyboard? Picture in picture?

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A couple of points here.
    iOS is OS X. With darwin, CoreServices, CoreFoundation and Foundation, the only significant differences are a handful of classes within AppKit, which very, very easily could be added in to iOS-Pro.

And as to the difference in CPU architecture, Apple has made that all but irrelevant, at least for modern apps. All developers are now expect to deliver apps in what is called "LLVM Intermediate Format", which makes them architecture-agnostic.

So, yeah, a decent OS X, adapted/enhanced properly for touch UI, is entirely possible and not a huge jump from where we are.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

modbook.com

12. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Nope, it is not missing anything. It looks like a fantastic introduction for a new product.

iOS works best with mobile devices. I don't see the reason to add OS X to a tablet.

13. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Want magical...buy the new macbook. a powerful ipad like thinness with full osx and a great keyboard and a retina screen.

14. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

The samsung Note Pro 12.2 is FAR superior to this Ipad Pro, and less money. It's pretty fantastic.

15. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Except the Samsung is running android, seriously the two products are not even close

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Samsung uses touchwiz and it's complete garbage.

17. pth231 macrumors newbie

Except when you try to use that as a tablet....not so much.

18. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

File/Finder system.

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It also hasn't seen an update since pretty much the day its existed.

20. glowrider, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

glowrider macrumors regular

My MS Surface Pro 3 is the best mobile product I own. A lot of that boils down to ports. Will there be lightning adapters? That would be something. Also, there really isn't a substitute for a full Os on a screen that large. I rarely use it in tablet mode, though frequently I use it without the cover. I also can do some on location photo editing with the surface and on screen editing in Photoshop. I also do card downloads and backups on the same device with sub hub. Hugely useful. I do my edits on the surface and can then pick it back up on my desktop. I'd want that experience in the iPad pro. I'll wait until it's more developed - not replacing my surface so fast.

Also, the surface kickstand approach versus the folded case is superior.

21. Esco1199 macrumors newbie

Esco1199

#4 all they gotta do is trim some fat on their product line. Leave the little Ipad and phones running iOS, combine iPad pro and the little MacBook running OS X. Detachable keyboard and touch screen it's the best parts of each without the bad. Plus the hybrid train is starting to gain some momentum as we all know how successful the surface is.

22. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I want both in the same device, iOS apps are often better then web apps and often worse. why settle, give me both!

23. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That answers exactly zero of my questions.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That'd be a horrible prouduct.

25. driftless, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Michael Goff: do you own any Apple products?