What the new XSi kit lens can do

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phrasikleia, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

For anyone considering the XSi, perhaps this photo will be of interest. I was pleasantly surprised to see this kind of sharpness coming from a kit lens handheld in low light (and at its softest focal length, no less). Check out the detail on the nose at full resolution.

55mm
    f/5.6
    1/8
    ISO 800
    NR: off

[​IMG]

^^Click to see the full sized version.

Not bad for a $100 lens!

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Awesome shot. I have an XTI, with the non IS version of that lens.

Here is one of my dogs: http://walking.hybridconcept.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3065

Check out the exif data below the pic to see what I was set at.

BTW, that is a RAW -> 50% jpeg reduction that is all the PP done on that picture.

I have only been taking pictures with this camera for ~2 weeks. P&S only before this.

Feel free to browse the gallery if you would like. Its just me playing with the camera.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow I'm just impressed that you can hand-hold at 1/8 and still get something that good. Anything slower than 1/30 is a challenge for me, and 1/15 is about the absolute limit and I really have to concentrate. Maybe I need to cut back on the coffee ;)

It does look good. Nice for you Canon users that they woke up and will give people a good lens to start with. The quality of the kit lens was a big "plus" in the Nikon's column back when I was shopping against the XTi.

4. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

That's true, but Canon also offered the "nifty 50", which was and and still is an outstanding lens for under $100.00.