What the next apple display could look like...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beppo, Jun 9, 2008.

1. beppo macrumors member

this is extremely rough and is meant more of to give you an idea of what the next step apple will take in their computer ui with a multi touch platform and a multi-touch display. tell me if you think this is the right approach to their next display. altered hinges would be where the yellow is.

Attached Files:

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I like how they're keeping the same great design but adding the isight. Not too sure about the multitouch yet though...probably might have a couple more inputs. But yeah, design wise..i'll like to see it stay the same. Maybe a thinner bezel

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thinner, iSight, black border around the screen, glossy option.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

glossy option with glass = perfect movie watching monitor. But please no black border..it's really ugly imo

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Great for movies suck for designers, the very people I thought the ACD was targeted at.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Jessica: that's why it must be an option. Either offer Matte only. Or Matte and glossy. But they can't do away with the matte.

7. Bertmg macrumors member

... unless they are investigating in a non reflective glossy

A non reflective glossy... yum!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool: hey in technology anything is possible and Apple ARE innovators aren't they?:D:apple::apple:

8. batchtaster macrumors 6502a

Like most multi-touch desktop computer solutions, this is ergonomically problematic.

Try this: sit in front of any desktop computer. Place the keyboard and mouse as directly under the display as possible, to mimic this design. On a G5 or Intel iMac (including the current metal one), you should be able to put it on the "foot". Now, spend an hour typing and mousing like that.

Uncomfortable? Hmm... reaching out seems to be a problem. Let's see what happens if you move the display. Keeping the keyboard and mouse still directly under the display, move the display closer, to give your arms a rest and enable your elbows to take a relaxed L shape position. Now spend an hour like that. How are your eyes? 30" display, you say? Oh dear, you may need a cornea transplant.

The correct position for a desktop computer is for both the keyboard and mouse to be basically directly in front of you. When you're typing, your upper arm should be largely vertical, while your forearm should be horizontal. The mouse should be directly next to the keyboard - you should not need to stretch to reach it, you should be able to shift your hand from the keyboard to the mouse without moving your elbow significantly. The top of the display should be just below eye level, and it should be positioned a comfortable distance away. If I stretch my arm directly out, I can only just touch my 20" iMac. Now, multi-touch that.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You seem to have put a small black dot in the middle of the top frame of a current ACD.

What glimpse of the possible future am I looking at here exactly beyond the glaringly obvious - a camera.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

The black does help my eyes to focus more easily on the screen,it kind of defines the screen better but it isn't all that pretty I have to agree

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yeah black does make it easier to focus on. White is the worst. Wasn't as nice watching movies on my white macbook, as it stood out too much. I would say the MBP and ACD's silver is the best. Not as distracting as the white, or blend in as well with the black. Good for all round use.

12. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I know these would be horrible for the type of people the ACDs are aimed at, but one day I was bored so I decided to put my rudimentary photoshop skills to use and below is the result. Note that because I am not very good at photoshop these are just modded iMacs (thus why there isn't a 30"). These are probably better suited as what people would have liked the new iMac to look like (the "chin").

Attached Files:

• ACD.png
      ACD.png
      File size:
      284.6 KB
      Views:
  13. freddyaudiophil macrumors newbie

man, if they made ACD's like that, I would consider upping to a MacPro! And how about a few USB ports along the left and right edges of the screen. :)

14. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

For that price, and a 24" at that. I would easily buy the 30" ACD, cheaper too, and looks better. But of course, I am not a professional so I don't need the super color accuracy of the HP.

16. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

but you might want to wait, I think Apple could be next with this LED-Back-lit, I'm waiting definitely now

17. amusiccale macrumors 6502

It does seem like something aluminum and glass would be in the works, but hopefully they'll surprise us with something matching redesigned 'pro' models (Mac Pro, Macbook Pro) rather than making it look like how we might have wanted the imac to look.

18. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Yeah, but the price might be astronomical compared to current offerings - like double the current price. I'm not sure the technology justifies the price, but I could be wrong.

At the very least, I would like to see an H-IPS panel with an A-T/W polarizer (I think that is the right term), TCO 06 compliance, and additional ports, at least DisplayPort + DVI and maybe composite.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I'm going to put something together tomorrow/later today.

Something I would love to see. Futuristic but sleek.