What the next AppleTV needs to be...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Snoopy4, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Snoopy4, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It needs a store or every streaming channel for major programming networks available, plus any streaming services (VUDU, Flixter, Amazon etc...). If they opt to not use a store (present scenario). Apple needs to decide what to do here because the introduction of VUDU and a possible move by Amazon this year to support Ultraviolet is going to hit them like an anvil.

Cross platform search and/or catalog merge for the hellish nightmare created by the movie studios over Video streaming services and incompatibility with service providers. Either that, or Apple just needs to wise up and play nice with Ultraviolet and allow us to link our Ultraviolet account to iTunes the way Disney Movies Everywhere has done. That was an absolutely killer move by Disney and they even play nice now with VUDU and Google Play.

Needs about 64GB to buffer for 4K, option for 128GB if they want a chunk of the gaming market. Doesn't need 4K out of the box, but should be future proof.

HDMI pass through with the ability to control the box (cable/sat etc...). Don't try to build in a tuner or DVR. This thing needs a reasonable price point of about $159 with more capability than any other streaming device out there or it dies.

Gaming controller for streaming games, no brainer if they want a chunk of the gaming market. If they don't, no big deal. Just build in future capability.

External HDD. Just needs a USB port. Imagine the possibilities here for storing you're stuff off the cloud or recording live programming for a streaming app.

Streaming is the future and they cannot afford to fall behind. Like it or not, they are doing just that. Yes, Apple makes a ton off their devices but it's the ability to access that iTunes account that is essential to their future as a company. People start dumping that ecosystem because they have better options with another provider and Apple will be left without a chair when the music stops.

Thoughs?

2. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

I agree with you.

Most important features:

- Gaming controller or ability to add one
    - remote using RF not IR so I can keep the atv hidden.
    - keep me logged into TV networks after reboot/update
    - hdmi cec

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Here's my two cents:

UI and control redesign. The UI isn't horrible, but it seems a little simplistic. What I'm guessing someone at Apple is working on would be an OS that makes all of the various services you use transparent to the end user. Build an API that will talk to the OS with each individual movie, TV show, etc. Then you have a master way of accessing each piece of content. The OS would default to items you have purchased and loaded into an iTunes library to reduce data use, but otherwise would just list these items maybe with a tiny logo letting you know where they came from.

Allow changes to organization on the fly, such as playlist editing, instead of forcing me to change these things on my computer. This would involve at the minimum a remote that acts like the iOS Remote app. I don't know whether typing on a device about the size of an iPhone 5 or 6 or using a point-style remote like the Wii remote would be better. But it needs to be a default instead of the $20 clicky remote.

In with all of this goes an App Store. Let anybody and everybody develop for this platform. Give it a spec bump to at least the A7 and put at least 32GB of storage on it standard. Maybe offer a 32GB model and a 128GB model. I also like the full-size USB port option either for adding external storage or just for reasons I don't know yet.

Also, Siri. Even if it's just an option when using an iPhone or iPad, man that would be nice. "Play Guardians of the Galaxy" and then the darn movie starts.

The new box needs to be something to lure in cord-cutters. I use my ATVs solely for that. I have to get inventive to figure out how to follow a lot of things. It's kind of ridiculous that I can't get live streams of most broadcast network channels since they're literally being sent across the country for free. I tried an antenna but couldn't get a good enough signal. So I basically use Hulu, Netflix and download other stuff from iTunes.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Agree about the UI ^.

In the beginning, and even now to a certain degree, the remote and UI were fine. But as more channels, content and features are added, it becomes a bit burdensome to click constantly. For instance, I browse a lot in Netflix by looking through actors, genres, directors etc., and getting back to the home Netflix screen is an ordeal. It's either hit menu a million times, or exit to the home ATV screen and go back into the app.

A touch remote (and by extension, the remote app on iOS) with controls that change via the app would be a great feature. Of course, standard buttons are a must, but a few dynamically changing features would be great, even if it were an iOS-only feature.

Also, third-party apps are long overdue.