What the privacy deal on these keyboards?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Italianblend, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Can someone explain to me why there are privacy issues in using 3rd party keyboards? I tried installing one yesterday for the first time and the pop up makes it sound like by installing a 3rd party keyboard, the developer can see everything you text, hack into your accounts, steal your identity, and ransom your kids.

Is it true that a developer can actually read your texts just because you have a keyboard skin installed? Why would anyone want this invasion of privacy just to add some color to a keyboard? What am I missing here?

2. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

This will help. In theory there's nothing to worry about. And by the way - the default keyboard is always used when typing in sensitive info.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/24/ios-8-keyboards-full-access-and-user-privacy/

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

The article you linked says this:

That is hardly comforting.

What keyboards do not require this?

4. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Check out the general 3rd party keyboard topic start post and you can find out more details in regards to 'full rights' in general and per keyboard and also the limitations (e.g. not allowed to be used when typing in a password field or use Siri) of a third party keyboards. There are quite a few out there which do not need full access (swiping keyboards: Swype, Path Input, Touchpal and also ai.Type for example)

5. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

Yes and no. It depends on how it's implemented. I have a banking app where you can enter your login using a third party keyboard. The password is always with the standard keyboard though.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It just means that they can, not that they necessarily will.

7. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This was more helpful, thanks. I am still frustrated by this issue. Basically, I'm looking for a way to have a different colored keyboard without giving privacy rights away. I know, I know, most of these companies don't collect your personal info. It's still not worth it to some people.

What is it with Apple and customization? What would be the harm in allowing us to add some color to our menus, text bubbles, or keyboards? And the only way Apple makes it possible is to hand your privacy over to a third party company that may or may not have good intentions with your information.

I just find the whole thing to be really unnecessary. It's 2014, and I can't customize any colors on a modern device.

8. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Swype, Touchpal, ai.type, Fleksy have various colored themes. I'm not sure if you need full access for that but i don't think so. I'm using Swype and Path Input mainly for swiping/gesture feature. I will check out the color/theme options if I'm allowed to change the theme without changing it to full access.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Most Android apps have full access so this is hardly surprising. Apple themselves have full access...

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That's Apple's MO. They believe they've picked the best color/design UI for their Devices (hence you can't theme the Dock on OS X).

I'm not saying it's right but it is what it is. However, I do enjoy that they take design seriously (although I disagree with certain elements).