what the..? Windowsmediaplayer issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mudwoman22, May 31, 2010.

1. mudwoman22 macrumors member

Hey everyone, :)

I just got a new macbookpro ...I've never used a mac before, so I'm a bit baffled by some of these problems.

Ok..catastrophe: I downloaded flip4mac because some random guy on youtube told me too...it wouldn't work...I tried listening to a radio stream...nothing.

So I tried to deinstall/delete everything (god it came with a lot of crap)...and inadvertantly deleted some flash plugins (oops) so I couldn't even play youtube videos anymore..I panicked..argh
    Anyway..I did that repair disc thingy, and everything works again (hopefully), I probably deleted more essential stuff...oh well.

Anyway...now flip4mac scares the hell out of me, so I tried to download windows media player 9, it never works (that is: it never even installs)...I click the thingy it downloads and it pops up a screen that says "Server Error"...?

I have no clue what I'm doing, obviously...

Also, two random quick questions that I should probably post in another thread (I'm impatient): on my smc fan control...how high is too high to set the fans...and..where the hell are the fans on my macbook?
    and: I uninstalled/ironically deleted the application "AppDelete"...but when I rightclick some things on my desktop appdelete still appears on the bottom of the menu bar as if I could use it...obviously I can't, but its presence is annoying...how do I get rid of that?

ok..so that was three more questions, I lied..sorry :)
    Thank you, you don't have to answer all of those, or any of them..I know I'm an imbecile.

-Lu

UPDATE: none of my questions are really answered yet ;) (besides the fan control) thanks for all the useful info though

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

First, Flip4Mac is only needed to play .wmv (Windows Media Video) files inside QuickTime Player. YouTube does not need it. Also VLC Player is capable of playing .wmv files.

Second, you can either try to re-install Flash (www.adobe.com) or even the complete Mac OS X via your restore DVDs, but know, that a re-installation of the OS will not delete your data.

Third, the maximum fan speed for your MacBook is 6000RPM. So if you manage to NOT get beyond that, you will be safe.

Fourth, the fan(s) are located here:

17" MBP:

[​IMG]

13" and 15" MBP:

[​IMG]

Fifth, I don't know about that AppDelete menu item though.

Sixth, also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

@spinnerlys: I apologize for not being as clear as possible....I know youtube does not need it...I fixed that problem already, that wasn't my question

I have VLC...so, how do I make it run my radio stream?

Thanks for the pics and the info! :)

oh...and is windows media player really necessary to download..? or not? if so...how..what am I doing wrong?

4. spinnerlys, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It depends on the kind of stream. Can you copy the address of that stream and open it via VLC Player?

[​IMG]

I don't even know if the old WMP version is still compatible with the current Mac OS X version, but since I haven't used WMP since 2004, I presume, it is obsolete.

5. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much...but I can't copy the link...I mean...there's a link, but ...how do I say this? (I'm not tech savvy :)...its embedded in words..xD I know I have no idea what I'm saying...the link is in words, so you click the words and the streaming window pops up..then it says it can't play because I don't have wmp etc....so what do I do to get the link to put it in vlc?

6. dcoux09 macrumors member

7. snaky69, May 31, 2010

snaky69 macrumors 603

Right click it and click on copy link.

8. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

itunes...for an obscure radiostream, that I can't figure out how to open to transfer anywhere else?...I need details because I'm completely technologically inept, and more words would be nice

when I right click...it doesn't have that option

Edit: more info: when I try to open it, it says I don't have: MIME type app mp x player 2...?
    and when I right click it just says: open link in new tab and some other crap that doesn't help

9. snaky69, May 31, 2010

snaky69 macrumors 603

You might have copy link location, or something of the sort, how about you post the website your obscure radio stream is on? I'll see for myself if the link is "copyable"

10. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

for fear of being mocked by this entire community, I'd rather not xD

ok...so when I say copy link...this happens: javascript:wup(500,400,%22/media/%22)
    ok..then I put that in the VLC place...then I press enter and this extremely confusing window pops up, and I don't know where to go from there

11. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

ok...can someone still help me with this please? :) I'm sorry, I'm just at a loss of what to do