Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have a D-Link wireless router.

Now, even when I'm not doing anything on the internet (iChat, Safari, Torrents, etc) the lights are going blinkity blink. Could something deep inside my eMac possibly be using up my network connection?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
A cable or DSL modem constantly is staying active on the line and passvely listening. In a wireless network, if you broadcast the SSID then you are, well, broadcasting every few feconds. Plus, your mac likes the security of knowing its still connected to the network and 'phones home' every few to check.

Al in all, its nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, get a firewall an check usage. If its a lot, then you have a freeloader. If not, then no worries.

neoelectronaut said:

Now, even when I'm not doing anything on the internet (iChat, Safari, Torrents, etc) the lights are going blinkity blink. Could something deep inside my eMac possibly be using up my network connection?

jrvl912

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
is it true........

is it true there is an emac that is lighted with lights ?? ohh and that its blue?? if so please reply to my message as soon as possible. thank you! heard this from a friend just veryfying if it was true! :confused: :D :confused:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
neoelectronaut said:

The router is constantly connected to your ISP (broadband, DSL), and as such detects network traffice that is occurring on the network. It is likely that you will see activity lights on the WAN side blinking even if you turn off the wireless portion and disconnect any wired LAN components.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jrvl912 said:
is it true there is an emac that is lighted with lights ?? ohh and that its blue?? if so please reply to my message as soon as possible. thank you! heard this from a friend just veryfying if it was true! :confused: :D :confused:
Sorry friend. I think you're looking for the PC modder's forum. Try here.

Of course, you could mod an eMac and add blue lights. Sort of like ricing up a BMW, but, hey, whatever....

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
jsw said:
Of course, you could mod an eMac and add blue lights. Sort of like ricing up a BMW, but, hey, whatever....
Oye, not another ***damn car and computer reference.

And modding an eMac wouldn't be too much fun if you just want to add lights, except if you use it in the dark and want the exterior to glow neon green or blue. For those of you that have the G5 issue of MacAddict with the G5 lighting show, you know what I mean, because you can see the lighting comming from inside the machine.

jrvl912

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
Lighted

its basically lighted with lights from the inside. and yes it is basically moded! only in a way to make it look nice. iam trying to get some more info to do this to my emac :D ohh and thanks for the person who gave that link on modding that could help!!! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.