What they should've done With Multi-Touch Gestures

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by John Mang, Jul 20, 2011.

1. John Mang, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

John Mang macrumors member

Honestly the only problem that people seem to have with the Lion upgrade, I notice, is how confusing and messed up the MT gestures have become. This how I feel they should've done it, since they didn't add system wide support for the Safari two finger swipe to navigate (which was dumb!)

Four Fingers Left & Right-> Switch Between Spaces, Full Screen Apps
    Four/Three Finger Up & Down-> Mission Control (and/or App Expose)
    Three Finger Left & Right-> Navigation (w/ the Safari animation in every application)

I understand why they did what they did, seeing how three fingers is easier to use then four. But the lack of support for two finger navigation in applications other than Safari really messes it all up. I hope they fix it up in a future update/patch.

Thank you for reading..

Edit: Also, I am the only one that's pissed that Apple removed the "Reboot Into Safari" Feature? That could've been huge!

2. Xandan macrumors newbie

Erm, have you gone into settings? You can change it to those you suggested :/

3. John Mang, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

John Mang thread starter macrumors member

I think you missed my point, I know that you can.. I've done it already.
    What I meant was that they should've pushed it forward it like this, and added the safari animation when you do a three finger swipe system wide, because right now it's not there.

It's easier too- 4 fingers for all the app related stuff, 3 for system wide navigation (w/ Safari animation), and 2 for scrolling.. It's more natural.

Like I said they could've of done good with what they have now, if they added system wide support for that two finger swipe animation for safari. Having it isolated sorta ruins it..

Edit: Another thing, it pisses me beyond belief that three finger swipe isn't reversed like the other gestures. It feels weird when you're using natural scrolling.

4. Xandan macrumors newbie

Oh right, my bad :p

And yeah, it does make a lot more sense to have it setup like that, you actually made me go and configure it like that after reading your post :)

5. John Mang thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the moment I got Lion, I started fiddling around with the gestures, to see what felt the best. Honestly the three finger scheme Apple made for Mission control, etc. felt the most natural. But due to the limitations that setup brought out, I couldn't stick with it. So this was the only other option I felt. Glad you agree. I just hope Apple fixes it up in the next update.

6. John Mang thread starter macrumors member