What this in my applications folder ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by naturesway, Apr 11, 2009.

1. naturesway macrumors newbie

These 3 items were found in my applications folder, i haven't downloaded these, considering the other security problems i have had recently, perhaps some one could share some light on why they would be sitting in my app folder, and perhaps give me some idea of what persist data is,

Abyss Web Server
    abyss.conf
    persist.data

Thank you

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Not sure what they are, but they probably don't need to be there. None of them are applications, and most apps don't put their essential files in the main apps folder. I'd trash 'em.

3. naturesway thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies,

Perhaps i should have asked, why are they in the app folder, i seem to be having security issues no-one can tell me about,

May i ask an opinion on the following,

I accidently download a file off hotmail, it is contaminated, and my mac goes a little crazy. i deleted the file, but since then, my emai accounts have become a scary place to go.

An email i sent to a friend partially turns up somewhere else,

My phone number which i added to another email, and i rarely send phone number on email, "easier to msg", and i start getting odd messages,

Mail goes missing, mail is linked to a junk mail ip address, but the old mail from these people isn't,

Ok, lets assume i send an email, it leaves my computer, goes to my provider then onto the person who recieves it, is there some possibility that somewhere between, something n

ot so pleasant is happening

Lets also assume that emails should appear within a few minutes in my account but in fact they are taking anything between 30 - 40 minutes to get to me.

all passwords have been changed.

Any advice ?? apart from relading all my files,

Thank you

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

sounds like you should try to repair permissions, and delete everything you don't use,

then goto your keychain and see what's authorized.

again. delete everything you don't use.

if this doesn't work... archive and install - if that doesn't work......

fresh install