What, throw my rolex out for this?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by renault4, Sep 9, 2014.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

ok I am being provocative with the subject heading; I don't own a Rolex, but the point stands, I do have a couple of nice Tag Heuer and Tissot watches, and its a bit naive, if not arrogant of Apple to expect me to now relegate those to my bedside drawer!

I might have been more interested if, given that it looks like it can replace my fitbit, my Wahoo HR strap, and RunKeeper, etc., it would have looked more natural to be able to wear it on my other wrist--oh well!

Since I do flip around amongst watches, I might, and I stress might be willing to wear this for specific times or events, say a run or a workout and then swap it out for one of my "old-school" watches for the rest of the day, but then it looks like it might complain at me for not moving enough during the rest of the day :)

I guess, time will tell....

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Of course not. Your Tag will last multiple lifetimes with servicing. Rolex is built like a tank, it will take anything you throw at it, from deep dives to the peak of Everest, that's the point of Rolex, rugged construction and accurate timekeeping. These are items that are passed on for generations, and generally have very good resale value.

Apple Watch is dopey. iPod touch with a strap, thrown away after a couple years. No one will care. Good luck taking Apple Watch anywhere near the water, on vacation, or even using it without an iPhone.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i have a couple of normal watches that i like to wear. I also have a fitbit that i like to wear. Right now i wear one on each wrist and don't really have a problem.

If i were to get an iwatch the fitbit would be gone, and possibly my normal watch as well unless i wanted to dress up or something. Time will tell, i need more wrists!

4. rritterson macrumors 6502

Since you brought it up--what's the utility of a time keeping device that lasts for multiple generations over one that lasts 15 years, or even two years? Certainly there is value in objects that last for multiple generations, but the value is derived from the longevity and not the utility.

Basically, is a Rolex basically just an heirloom quality piece of jewelry that happens to tell time, or is there some utility beyond that when compared to a $250 waterproof watch?

When viewed in that light, I essentially agree with your post--the :apple:WATCH is designed with high utility and not heirloom quality. It's not intended to compete with a Rolex.

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. Coupled with serious ruggedness. Rolex is one heck of a tank; they can survive just about anything. And yes, there also are far cheaper watches with similar ruggedness.

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Maybe in the 60's, but now automatic watches are a Veblen good designed as overbuilt jewelry. If utility is the only goal, then a G-Shock will be just fine.

I own an Omega, and I used to own Rolexes and other auto watches, but lets call a spade a spade.

7. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I'll definetely keep my rolex datejust. I was looking for a sport device but it lacks even gps! I hate wristbands, but to get tracking while running it needs an iphone=why I need a second device if I can do everything with only my iphone? And to be honest it cannot replace any swiss watch brand.... It is ugly! To name it timepiece for a watch lover is a curse!

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Rolex, Tag, Omega. They're extremely well-made jewelry, not mass produced consumer electronics. Completely different purpose than the Apple Watch.

9. firewood macrumors 604

No one throws out their classic Duesenberg, Bently or Bugatti, if they have one. Or even a classic Mustang or Corvette. Not many people buy another one though.

More likely a new BMW or Mercedes, which need somewhere over 100 computer processor chips to keep them running. Or Telsa, which runs on even more tech.