What time should I go to Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAG3194, Jun 14, 2009.

1. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

Hey everyone! I pre-Ordered my iPhone 3G S on Monday the day of the keynote and I was wondering what time should I go to the Apple Store to wait online? I am afraid I might not get it if I go at like 8 A.M.

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere but its only 5 days left!

Thanks!

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you pre ordered, then go whenever you want
    it will be there for you. It's being held for you
    It just depends on how long of a line you want to wait in, and how early in the day you want your phone. And no one here knows what the line will be like, so its really a shot in the dark in that respect

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. xleedaniel macrumors member

what about the apple store in beverly center. los angeles, california.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

6. SAG3194 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAG3194

Apple Store Soho.

The line was 1 mile when Steve Carell came to visit the store so this is why I am nervous.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Night before?

8. ttech10 macrumors 6502

You pre-ordered? I'd just go anytime that day, if you pre-ordered it's there for you for a while.

Sort of like when you pre-order a game somewhere, you can go anytime later that day, even up to a few days later.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is still going to be a massive line. And if I remember correctly, when the store opens - the lines merge, so you will then be placed behind all of other people that waited in line w/o preordering.

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I thought preordering from apple didnt guarantee you a phone. Only ATT

11. gwfattwkr macrumors member

explain preorder

what do you mean by pre order, is this different that reserved?

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is incorrect.

It's already been confirmed that if you used the Apple online tool to preorder; which took down your name, address, device type, plan, and did a credit check via your SSN, then you have only pre-'registered' for your phone.

We don't know exactly how it will work from that point but I believe everyone will line up and either A) the store early only for pre orders with the non preorders waiting until the store opens regular hours or B) the store opens early for everyone, but breaks off into a seperate line for pre-orders which get priority.

Regardless, its first come-first serve basis, so if you pre-'register' on apples website but don't come until 9 that night, you may be SOL if they sell out.

The only true pre order way was through ATT, because they took your payment information and pre authorized your card when you ordered. The phones that ship to the ATT store WILL have your name on it straight from the fulfillment center.

Apple's own pre-order system is a bit too primitive for them to reserve a phone for everyone who signs up, because I went through the order process 3 times (showing different plans to family) which would total three phones, and I doubt apple would ship out and reserve phones especially since they took down NO payment information.

13. Jon619 macrumors newbie

i think its just like a pre-approval, so that they have your account info already, makes the line go faster

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

as Discussed else where

ordering from Apple and having it sent to the store does not Guarantee your unit it only give them a idea of how many to ship. and gives them all your info to make the sale quicker. but if they sell out they sell out.

AT&T is holding the phone in peoples names but not Apple that said your guess as as good as anybody's we won't know the demand until the 19th but many 3G owners are still in contract and others waiting till next year so who knows.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Every I've seen Apple said first come first serve at retail stores.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I read somewhere that Apple Stores will have 2 lines. 1 line for pre-orders coming to pick up their phones and 1 line for the unwashed masses (literally) who camped out all night.

I'm guessing the pre-order line will be shorter and faster as a lot of those people have already been vetted by the ordering system. They just need to pick up and/or activate. The other line will be people with lots of random issues: credit problems, in-contract upgraders, etc.

17. tb2me macrumors member

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

Are you sure you're not thinking AT&T stores?

Basically unless you gave credit card info with a hold, and eventually a charge, I wouldn't expect a phone waiting for you.

19. gwfattwkr macrumors member

answer please

on this thread does pre-order = reserve

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

For Apple, no, it means pre-register. They WILL NOT hold anything for you.

For ATT, yes. You actually pre order, and pay for, your phone

For Best Buy, Yes (50 dollar deposit required).

21. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Untrue. Apple allows reserving with no credit card. I had a 3GS shipped to me to replace my 1st gen, but couldn't do the same for my wife since Apple doesn't support multi-line setups in their online system. So I reserved one without setting any purchasing options and will pick it up Friday.

22. ryvetted macrumors member

My store said they would facilitate those who have pre-orders in another line.
    It's not a guarantee, but they'll be stocked to the gills.
    If you get there early, chances are you'll get a phone.

23. The General macrumors 601

I went to the AT&T store and pre-ordered. I'm going to get in the pre-order line at around 6AM.

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

i'm Still just waiting

for the Fedex truck! then I might run to AT&T or Apple just so I can feel like everybody else and see if the sales people clap!

25. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Well ok. I was saying more of going later that day, so that there wouldn't be anyone there... but I don't know how busy his store is. I was also thinking of when they did it here last year at AT&T when after 2-3pm it was clear as could be.

But as it seems on here, pre-ordering doesn't mean pre-ordering... so I'd go early then based on that. I thought 'pre-order' meant that, you know... you PRE-ORDERED it so you will definitely get it... guess not.