What time should I go to the apple store on friday??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jasonrhcp, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jasonrhcp macrumors member

I am really excited to buy my first iPad on friday. I know that the apple stores are starting to sell the iPads at 5 pm. I was wondering what time I should show up to stand in line. I am currently on vacation in baltimore and the apple store is just a couple of minutes walking distance from me. What kind of lines do I need to prepare for? If you are in the same boat as me, what is your plan for friday?? Thanks for your help.

2. tomandshell macrumors regular

Seems like most people plan on getting there around 2:30-3:00. I want a 32 or 64 and would be fine showing up around 4:30 with confidence.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If its that close just pop by periodically until you think the line is too long. You could even call them and ask how long the line is.

4. johnc22 macrumors 6502

While I think demand will be high I just don't believe it's going to be insane like a major iPhone release. I could certainly be wrong but I'm thinking of heading over right after work and checking it out. If the lines are insane I'll go home and either order one or go back on Saturday early.

5. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

Last year I pre ordered, showed up an hours early and was about #30 in the pre order line. As I was leaving the last person in the "walk up" line was entering.

It doesn't look like they're offering pre orders this year. I was thinking about getting there around noon. Because of the major success/demand and the wide selection. I'm starting to debate on what store to go to. My "home" store is outside. It's an extra 15 min drive to the indoor  store.

6. advan031 macrumors 6502

I said an hour early but I may arrive an hour and half or two hours early now:p

7. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

I'm leaving work at noon, grabbing leisurely lunch, and going by the store to check out how many people are parked there. Then I'm going to grab my folding chair from my car and getting in line.

This strategy earned my spot #3 in line last year for the 3G iPad release.

8. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

If the Apple store you are going is inside a mall, be sure to check with the mall security and the Apple store for hours.

Our local mall here wouldn't let us wait inside during non-business hours. So Apple setup a line right outside the mall where the mall security has no authority. Apple staff were onsite and led the line into the store once they open.

Good luck.

9. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Well I get off work 3:30 pm so after I get off it's a 6min drive to the apple store..I'll be playing on my iPhone 4 while I wait in line to kill time :) white 32GB for me :)wifi only I have unlimted data thank good..I love AT&T 3G here it's fast and never failed me :)

10. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Word for word what I am doing.

11. ozred macrumors 6502

Arrive just after midnight so you can have the full experience.

Me? I'm not about to get in line like iSheep

That's what the online store is for. FedEx is my friend.

12. HXGuy macrumors 68000

That doesn't apply this year because they are going on sale at 5:00pm. All malls are open at 5:00pm.

For me, it's going to depend on where I buy it. I'm going to try Best Buy, I think the line should be less there as most people will go to the Apple Store I think. I will call throughout the day to see if they received their iPad shipment and then maybe go by at 3:00pm and check out the scene, the Best Buy store is only 7-8 minutes from my house. If there's already a line forming, I'll wait, if not, I'll probably go back at 4:00 or maybe I'll just hang around Best Buy and "window shop".

13. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

I am trying to figure this out as well. I am going to head to the mall when it opens and talk to the staff at the Apple Store. I have some other shopping to do, so I will do that and then see if there is a line.

I will also run over to Best Buy and assess the situation there as well. If they are selling them early, I may purchase it there just to get it over with.

We will have to see. I love the experience of standing in line and talking with other apple users, but we will have to see what the day brings.