What time to other retailers start selling iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sgood7401, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sgood7401 macrumors newbie

sgood7401

I know Apple does not start selling the iPad 2 in their stores until 5:00 PM. I assume this means other retailers (best buy, walmart) don't start selling it until 5:00 PM either? Has anyone heard any info on this?

2. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Apple's official release time is 5pm, any other retailers will not be able to sell before then either. That also appears to be time zone specific, so those in an Eastern time zone will essentially get the device an hour earlier than the Central time zone, which will get theirs an hour prior to the Mountain time zone...and so on. Don't get your hopes up for camping at Wal-Mart to get one at midnight--it ain't gonna happen.

3. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Oh, I don't know. He might be able to camp out at Wal-Mart and get one at midnight on Friday night... :D

4. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

My local BB told me at 10am.

I have no problem waiting until 5pm though.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That would be just a (not the first time) misinformed BB salesperson. No way in he11 anyone (especially BB) would sell an iPad 1 second before Apple's official release time.:D

6. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

spoke to Apple this AM its for sale at 12.01 so doing it that way.
    online baby.

7. 1969cj5 macrumors member

I'll be going to wal mart after work on the night shift. I work there so I also get a discount

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Why not?

Go in at midnight, find a minimum wage drone working the late shift at walmart. Give him/her a $50 to get one from the back. Home at 12:15am with new iPad.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

8am at my store like the last one

10. zoman504 macrumors regular

Large retailers have protocol for releases. Products are usually left boxed up until they are allowed to go out on display. If the $50 is worth his job, then he might do it for you.

11. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

We'll just have to see who's misinformed come Friday. :)

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Won't work since the register bar code reader will not allow an item to be "rung up" until release time.;)

13. sgood7401 thread starter macrumors newbie

sgood7401

Every reply has some different information. Friday should be interesting. I was just wondering. I know I am going to go to my Apple store and get it at 5:00 PM.

14. fishcube macrumors 6502

My local BB manager told me they will be selling at 10am on the 11th. I asked about vouchers, and he said most likely wont, but will see how the morning unfolds. I think they may hand out vouchers if there is a line before 10am.

Even if they wait till 5pm, they will give out vouchers at 10am and I can just come back at 5pm to pick it up.

Either way I will have an Ipad2 or voucher at 10am :)

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

16. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

from best buy's twitter:

twelpforce
    @Hyperplasia http://bit.ly/hTcsfc Firm details are not available at this time. Best thing to do will be to check with you… via @AgentScottie
    about 20 hours ago via Twelpforce

AgentScottie
    @Hyperplasia http://bit.ly/hTcsfc Firm details are not available at this time. Best thing to do will be to check with your... #twelpforce
    about 20 hours ago via bbyfeed

17. racer1441 macrumors 68000

They just ring it up as an iPad 1.

You'll be very surprised what people will do for a little side cash. Walmart employees are really easy to get into because they are treated so bad and make so little. The same thing can be done with delivery drivers (UPS, Fedex, but it takes more)

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't think they will....Best Buy added new SKUs to their inventory recent just for the iPad.

You seem certain that this will work(both the fact it will ring up and the good luck you'll have in finding someone who values their job so little), I'd be very interested to see a post from you at 12:01 on the 11th.

19. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

And then when they do inventory and find that there is an iPad 2 missing they review the tapes and find what happened and the person is fired. I really doubt an employee is going to risk their job just to make $50. Besides the boxes will be sealed with a special "Do not open until _____" seal anyway. If that is broken they will just review the tapes and find out who did it and they will be fired (and probably charged with theft).

You are being pretty naive and also don't realize how many things Apple does to prevent this kind of stuff.

20. tomandshell macrumors regular

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It has a different UPC than a iPad 1. All models have a unique UPC. If it was manually entered as the wrong UPC (iPad 1) there would be an inventory mismatch that would auto trigger an audit. This would quickly be determined that the casher made a fraudulent manual entry.

22. Rodvette macrumors regular

Why not save your 50 bucks and get it when others get it? I honestly don't believe you will have much trouble getting an ipad on launch date if you just show up a few hours earlier prior to its release

back on topic, BB employee i spoke with a couple days ago said they will sell it at 5pm like Apple will

23. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i'm hoping somewhere sells it early. i will probably take a few trips up to my local walmart(s) that day to see what is going on. one is about 10 mins away and another is about 15 mins away. not bad.

24. fishcube macrumors 6502

I spoke with local BB manager and was told they will sell at 10am when they open on the 11th. I asked about vouchers, and he said they are not planning on using them, but he said they will see how the morning unfolds. I think they will use vouchers if there is a line before 10am.

I will be there before 10am to see if a line develops.