What time to start lining up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MultiMediaWill, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

If I want the iPad 3 on launch date. What is a safe time to start lining up at the Apple store?

2. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Maybe after they announce a launch date?

Actually to be safe, I would go now. Hurry.

3. rainking macrumors regular

We don't even know how they are going to release it yet.

4. falcora macrumors 6502

I'm on my way out to the apple store right now. I got a tent, camp chair, and two weeks worth of MRE's.

haha, just kidding.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I started the line yesterday.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Pre-order one online when they announce and you will be guaranteed to have one on the release date.

or

Spend a couple of weeks waiting in line outside the store. Your choice.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Too late. They've been lining up in Shenzen for years already. ;)

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

9. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

No later than noon the day of release.

But it's best to play it by ear. If you ride by your spot and heads are already lined up before midday, that's a good indication that you should get in line.

Another important factor is the type of iPad that you want - there are sure to be more black than white, more 64 and 32 GB than 16.

If you're after a white 16GB AT&T, well you should probably get there just a little bit early to be on the safe side.

At my Best Buy last year, there were maybe 2 of such model. I was in line by noon and got mine. Others went away with the "Okay" face.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I remember apple did no pre-order on iPad for the launch day.

They will probably do this again. Sure, you can pre-order, but you can only get it after 7-10 days later. We want our customers to sleep outside of our store.

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Maybe I am reading what you wrote wrong, but there is absolutely a much larger stock of 16GB Black than any other denomination. Maybe you are saying that they are generally bought first, making them possibly harder to get?

12. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

No, you read it right.

I guess I should have said that in terms of the WHITE iPad, there are the scarcest of the bunch. When I was in line last year I did notice that there were more black, didn't look at the capacities, but there were far and away more black. So, there being more 16GB black doesn't really surprise me.

But, in terms of this post, if one were to line up hoping for a white (for now) iPad, they are better off getting there much earlier than if they wanted the black. Earlier if they want the 16GB.