What time to start waiting in line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jttran241, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jttran241 macrumors member

I have to get the iphone 4s at best buy because I bought the buy-back program and need to resell my phone back to them and use the money to buy the iphone. I talked to them earlier today about a pre-order but as some of you have pointed out, there is no guarantee of getting the phone on or even near launch date and that it is first come first serve. Therefore, if I want to get it, I have to wait in line. I suspect the lines won't be as bad as say the iphone 4 but what time do you suspect one should start waiting in line for to get there early and to get the model of my choice? The best buy rep jokingly mentioned people having to get in line at 4 am, but the store opens at 10 am. Sounds reasonable? What do you guys think?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd personally get there at 3am; with a MBP, coffee, and a wifi hotspot or a smartphone, it wouldn't be that bad at all. If you want, you could also bring a chair or something and, before it opens, run back and put the chair in the car. Seeing that you'd be there so "early", you could easily park close to the store to run and do that; also be able to put your MBP up as well (or whatever).

Although it seems (to me at least) that this isn't going to be "as big" of a launch, you also have to take into account all of the news about Steve Jobs dying. People are bound to hear something along the lines of "his last iPhone" and use that as a factor to get the thing.

But hey, it's a phone, and an iPhone at that. What you do NOT want to do is get there, wait, and end up being too far back to get an actual phone, depending on how many the store gets. You'd then have to be put on a list or something and wait for the phone to come in. They also might want you to trade the iPhone in that day, which would be a no no.

3. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Just wondering what the appeal is of waiting in line vs having it delivered. To each their own and I'm not making any judgements. I just never understood. I ordered my iP4 online last year and it was delivered the day before it was available in the store. The 3GS was delivered day of release.

Not saying that it happened for everyone but many got it a day early. There were very few actual delivery delays with others from what I remember.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Some people like the social interaction and camaraderie of it all. I'd rather sit on my couch till the doorbell rings.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't know if you're saying this in relation to the topic; if so, then by simply reading what the OP posted, you'd realize why he can't just do that.

If not: if you don't order within a few hours, chances are, you're going to be waiting for a long time due to them reaching the "limit" of online orders. At that point, you're going to have to wait a pretty long time to get your unit.

You can take the chance of sitting outside and guaranteeing a copy if you don't have anything to do, which people find funner and you also have the whole day to do "something". Kind of like going out to best buy at 3am on black friday when you could simply order everything online.

It's fun (generally) because you're out with family or friends shopping. People hardly do it alone and are always with somebody; also, talking to other Apple enthusiasts is always fun; kind of like the forums with less ignorance :)

6. MustangJoe macrumors member

I'll have to skip out on the pre-order as well. Do you think I'll be okay if I try to get on Friday around 2ish? I live in a small town and I think when the iPhone 4 came out on Verizon some people said there was probably 10-20 people there waiting for it in the morning. Two more questions. One, how many iPhone's do stores like Verizon get and two, if they are sold out how long do you think the wait will be for the next shipment?

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

If you're not in line already you're probably not going to get one for another month.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

These are questions for a Verizon rep.

9. jttran241 thread starter macrumors member

yeah im thinking around 3-4 am sounds good too. I'm just worried about getting the model i want which is the 32gb white. I wish i could have pre-ordered through apple or at&t but i cant and so this is my dilemma.

I thought about just waiting a few days after the launch date and try to walk in and hope they have em but realistically, how long do u even think they will get a second shipment? If pre-orders right now are at a 14-21 day shipping delay time, what makes these stores like best buy will get it. The best buy rep told me if u pre-order through them, there's no guarantee of when u get it and she was speaking truthfully and that there is a possibility of getting it a week or two from launch date or later.

looks like i gotta request next friday off from work and get ready to wait in line =)

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I actually did read the post. My iP4 was ordered towards the end of the day (actually, I think it was around 1am, so following day) of the pre-order date. I was busy so I just didn't get around to it. I still got it a day early.

Of course they say all that stuff just in case but Apple has come to expect the large volume of orders they will get.

If it's a social thing and that's what you want to do, I get it. It's like seeing a movie at a midnight showing. But, if you read the OPs post, you'll see that his main concern was about inventory, not social interaction.

11. MustangJoe macrumors member

So I guess it also depends on your location too. I have I should be okay getting late afternoon on Friday.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Just a quick note...when I ordered my iP4, it initially said it wouldn't arrive until a week after the official release date. I wasn't bothered by it. BUt in the end, it still arrived a day before the release.

A lot of times, stores say they can't "guarantee" it because they want to save themselves just in case there's some weird issue. Happens rarely w/ the online orders.

Do you mind if I ask what the problem was w/ ordering online? Did your carrier say it was already sold out? I always order through Apple. Either way, good luck on your new iPhone!

13. vitog123 macrumors 6502

get there at 4 am... i drove past best buy last year on my way to the at&t store to line up @ 5.. both stores had about 20 people in line @ that time. The At&t store i purchased mine from only had 30 phones in stock.

14. jttran241 thread starter macrumors member

There wasn't a problem with ordering online. I could have done it, but I bought my infuse 4g in june and also got the buy-back program so i wanted to use the money i get back (at least $300 store credit) to buy the new iphone. I guess i could have just pre-ordered normally and use the store credit to buy other things at a later time but as of right now, i dont need anything.

just to clarify, waiting in line isn't for social reasons, just seems like my only logical choice at this point in order to get the phone at around launch date. but now that its looking like im gonna be waiting in line, it will become one just so i can bear through it. i live in a town, not a city, so im sure the line length shouldnt be too bad, atleast im hoping.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What does that have to do with the OP's topic? Or were you just sharing your experiences?

16. virtualandy macrumors newbie

Last year, I grabbed a 4 on the launch day by showing up around 3pm. Waited in line for 20 minutes or so, then snagged one.

Plus, got to wait in line with Nene from the Denver Nuggets. Funny.

17. aluren macrumors 65816

Not sure if this helps, but just checked the Apple website and shows that delivery date is still 10/14. So to me it seems like there'll be ample supply of 4S, which makes sense as the manufacturing process won't have changed that much. I remember the iPad 2 release, like an hour into the availability to order online, the delivery date already stretched from 2-3 days to 1 week, then to 2-3 weeks...

18. Monkey-House macrumors newbie

From experience, More than enough. When iPhone 4 came out at Verizon, my store had enough for weeks and it is a high level store.

19. MustangJoe macrumors member

Well that was for a phone that has been out for a while. This is a brand new phone and I'm nervous that it will be busier this time around.