What to ask When buying used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FriarNurgle, Feb 4, 2011.

1. FriarNurgle, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Hi,
    What should I ask/look for when buying a used MacBook Pro?

Found what seems to be a good deal on a Late 2008 15" 2.4GHz 4GB with an aftermarket 128SSD for around a grand. Have a friend who is rather Mac competent and he indicated "If it boots, you're good." What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Edit... Or would a refub from the Apple store be a better purchase. The 13" are around the same money unless I go nuts and splurge for a 15" with an i5 chip.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If it boots, your good? Hardly.

Listen for odd noises like scratching or hissing. Look for external case damage. Run the hardware test and check everything out. Ask for the install CD's

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd ask about the battery (cycle count, health), then what comes with it. If you can, get the disks that came with it, although it would be better to get a snow leopard disk, as it shipped with leopard. If it comes with the power cable (in good condition), boots, and has a decent battery, I'd say you're good to go, as long as there isn't anything obviously wrong with it.

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if it has the 8600 gt stay away. those fail at a very high rate.

5. cheeseblock macrumors member

Yeah the battery cycle thing is kind of a big deal. I compare it to miles on a car, you can tell just how used the laptop is. And if you do get a "high-mileage" laptop, you can expect to have it plugged in pretty much all the time... Other than that, macs are all great, you can rarely go wrong. I kinda wish i bought one used, cause mine still runs as good now as it did 2 years ago when i bought it :)

6. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I always ask "Do you or anyone else take baths with your MacBook Pro?"

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Go with the referb on the apple store. They have very strict quality specs and a full warranty

They may drop a little in price if the new MBP comes out anytime soon but no one knows for sure when that will happen.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

+1. I've frequently browsed the used market on eBay, and they rarely sell cheaper than what the refurb store is selling them for. In fact, I've seen quite a few instances where people are paying more for used on eBay. Why, I'll never understand. But the refurb store is your friend.

9. FriarNurgle thread starter macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Thanks for the info, gang. The refurbs are looking more and more logical.