What to be aware of before upgrade/install to Maverics ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jespervang, Oct 24, 2013.

1. jespervang macrumors newbie

jespervang

Still a very new Mac owner (MBA 11" 2013 model), I'm curious what to be aware of , before hitting that install button in the Mac App store ?

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Low fps on games... A lot longer battery life :) Its really good, trust me :)

3. jespervang thread starter macrumors newbie

jespervang

So I should not expect any issues during installation ? Our iPad / iPhones have always had no problems when upgrading ... (knock on wood)

4. tyche macrumors 6502

Have a backup and possibly two (Time Machine / Carbon Copy). It's going to work most of the time but just reading the forum here you can see for whatever reasons, it can mess up.

5. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

You shouldn't, but always make sure to backup before installing just in case.

6. jespervang thread starter macrumors newbie

jespervang

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Just run the installer.
    Your only concern is whether all your apps will be completely compatible. Most modern apps should be, but some might need updating to versions (which may not quite be released yet).

8. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

If you prefer to sync your contacts locally and not use iCloud syncing don't upgrade. Apple now forces you to sync contacts through iCloud in Mavericks.

See.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1654595

And Apple's KB here...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12117?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Quote:
    "If you use OS X Mavericks v.10.9 or later, your contacts, calendars, and other info are updated on your computers and iOS devices via iCloud."

Not sure if that matters to you but thought I should mention it.

Jon...

9. metier macrumors member

Yes for sure have backups, I needed mine.

Also when it says less then a minute remaining and the bar is solid blue and completely filled in it is lying to you. I upgraded 2 mac's (an air and mini) where it was only a couple of minutes, but when I did my MBPr it stayed this way for over 15 minutes, so I forced a reboot, hence the need for the backup, MBPr booted up into recovery mode. Reading other posts (afterwards) it can take quite a while for it to actually finish.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657671