What to bring to 2010 Vancouver Olympics?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by grizzlybrice, Nov 11, 2009.

1. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

I grew up in a somewhat chilly place (northern northern california), but since moving to Los Angeles I have given up a lot of my cold winter clothes.
    I was wondering what people are bringing for clothing to the 2010 Winter Games in February. I believe we are only spending two days up on Whistler for events, the rest down in the city.

I so far have been told that the big secret is LONG UNDERWEAR and quality boots. I found a nice snow jacket, but it's a soft shell and not sure if it is insulated much.

ALSO

I have an old school Hasseblad camera I kind of want to carry around for personal shots of the games/crowds. I have been looking for specifics for what is allowed to be carried. So far all I've found is "no professional equipment" since I don't have a press badge. Will I have to go get out my Holga and pick up a new point and shoot digital?

I can't wait!
    gB

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Forget about buying new clothes, just get a backpack and stitch a Canadian flag on it. You can stay safe.

:D

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Well, as most vancouverites will tell you: bring an umbrella.

Vancouver will be the warmest / largest city in history to host the winter games. February's temperatures are probably a lot colder than LA, but only goes below 0 degrees at night. Though, cold fronts come down from the north every few weeks which can bring temperatures in the valley to -5 to -10 <= I'm hoping for this during the Olympics! Rain would be crap.

For Whistler Village it will be in the negative's most likely the whole time. Up in the mountain it will be significantly colder.

I recommend buying the all-so-popular Canadian Olympic red mittens when you're here! They've become the iconic piece of olympic wear so far and they're only $10!

(Btw, what events are you going to?)

And I think you can bring any DSRL as long as your lens is under 6 inches.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

raingear.
    seriously. the rain is cold , a lot of it and comes in sideways - umbrellas last a couple minutes max.

for whistler all need is decent boots and winter jacket.

my february gear is
    jeans/khakis. hiking/approach ankle boots. fleece jacket and occasionally winter jacket. last winter I wore gloves twice and no toque.

you can actually sit outside on heated patios in february.

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

+1 on the raingear.

Also, don't forget your credit card...be prepared to spend an arm and a leg!;)

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i heard in canada everything cost triple.......

so if a tall starbucks frapp cost about $2.98 in LA

in canada it must cost $6.00

i think....:p;)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nah, it's not that bad, at least Toronto wasn't when I was there in July. It's a little more than the US, but I wouldn't say it's triple.

Of course, it depends on the exchange rate. When I was there, 1 Canadian dollar was about 90 US cents, now it's about 95 cents.

If you're using a debit card, it's nice to know that if you buy something that's $5 CAD, it'll be less in USD once your bank converts it. It sucked when I was in London knowing that something that was 5 GBP was going to be more USD. Harder to keep track of your bank balance because I'd rather end up having more money than I estimated than having less ;)

8. grizzlybrice thread starter macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

Awesome, rain gear it is!

As for events, I've got tix for the following:

Luge
    Alpine Ski
    Snowboard Cross
    Cross Country Ski (snore?)
    Hockey - Team Germany Vs Bulgaria

I want to try to get tix to some speed skating events and try my best to get to the snowboard halfpipe and SKI JUMPING.

So the Hassleblad shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks all!
    gB

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The only things you need to bring are a USA hockey jersey, your drinking stomach, and your lady.

10. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Like your friend said, I'd bring the long johns. They are the single most neglected defense against the chills. The best kind these days are the high-end wool ones.
    And, if you are going to be standing, waiting, sitting outside on the mountain, you might do well to bring some ski pants, or other similarly warm, dry outer-pants. In the city, it'll just be cool and likely wet.
    Finally, there will be a lot of slush around up at Whistler, so make sure your boots are waterproof.
    Have fun! I'm jealous. I lived in Van. and area for a lot of years, and I suddenly miss those mountains, waves, coffee shop-lined avenues.....(the weed) :cool:
    ps. As a sight-seeing tip, the UBC Anthropology Museum has awesome native artifacts, totem poles and carvings. Afterward, go down to Wreck Beach (below the museum) and check out the scene as free-spirits frolic on Vancouver's nude beach. OK, there won't be much skin in Feb., but in decent weather there is always something going on down there.

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

+1:D bring an american flag if you're a true rebel...:p