What to buy, advice please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, May 3, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

My wife is trying to decide on the ideal set up for herself.

Here's her situation ...

...during the day she's at her desk and likes a large monitor to work from, also uses a printer, usb drive etc so she's plugging into some peripherals. At the end of the day she wants a computer to use at home, on the couch, home office etc ... she doesn't much like the idea of "unplugging a lot of plugs and wires at the end of the day" to be able to take her computer with her ...

What she wants versus what she needs ... she isn't real computer literate other than being a pro at her work applications, syncing computers, networking, anything outside of work apps is new to her and she'd rather not mess with it is my guess.

She'd like a desktop at her work it sounds like, and also a computer to use at home, take with her, use at home, outside etc. She thinks maybe getting an iMac and a laptop (like I have) may be a good idea for her. So far I haven't commented on the topic ...

She wants all files to be in sync on both computers, we do work "in the cloud", (online app's) as much as possible but I can see it as a learning curve/nightmare for her trying to figure out and keep both computers in sync ....

Price isn't a concern, she's over due for a computer update, although she'd like a desktop and notebook to use I see it as a bad idea perhaps.

I think a Macbook pro (15") and an external monitor is the best way for her to go, she's tiny so I already know size/weight of the macbook pro may be a concern, so then perhaps the 13" unibody macbook or an Air?

I dunno, I think she'd be better off taking a little time to unplug a network and printer cable than she would be trying to keep both computers in sync. I can see it now she'll have a work file she wants to use on her computer and she won't have it... or she'll have a recipe on the home computer and wish she'd of had it at work.

What should she buy?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

You mentioned that your wife "likes" to have a portable machine & she "is tiny."

I'll suggest getting her a high end (2.4GHz) Alu MacBook (mainly due to the backlit keyboard since you mention that money is not a problem) plus an Apple 24" LED Cinema display. This should meet her needs fairly well IMO. Good luck. :)

3. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

isn't there a compatibility issue with macbooks and cinema displays? or is that just the white macbook...?

But yeah, a macbook + external monitor (maybe even a macbook pro) sounds right for you.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Why should there be? :confused: The Alu MB connects to the Apple LED Cinema display using the display's connector directly and not through another adapter or something, like those mentioned in another thread.

5. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

just the white Macbooks dont work since the lack of the mini display-port
    but the aluminum Macbooks will look really sweet with the 24 in ACD

6. Olivier L. macrumors member

And to ease the connections / disconnections, you could add:
    - a bluetooth mouse and keyboard
    - a big USB hub where disks, printer, ... (mouse, keyboard..) are connected.
    - an additional power adapter from Apple, that she leaves permanently at the desk(s)

She would only have to connect 1 USB, the video cable, and the power cable, all restrained and fixed at the appropriate location. No hassle.

(I use my laptop at work and at home with external displays and complete setup everysingle day).

7. Samslice12 macrumors member

It really depends on what her line of work is.

I would recommend one of the Macbook's or a MBP with an external monitor. Just get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and then the only thing that you would have to unplug at the end of the day is the monitor and the power.

If she is doing any strenuous tasks such as movie editing etc, I don't think that the Macbook Air would cut it. Also, effectively having 2 main computers, if you got the iMac and the laptop, would be a hassle for me. That's just me though.

8. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

I use two laptops, on 17" and one 13".
    I can tell you it is a nightmare to keep everything synced.
    It really, really is. And I'm not typical Illiterate in computing.
    So get one computer, not two.
    an Aluminium Macbook is good portable, connect it to a screen, wireless keyboard and (logitech) mouse (I really don't like the apple mouse :S)
    and you have a nice sollution. Get 4Gb of memory in it, largest hard drive you can get your hands on and than you have a super nice laptop!

But syncing two computers isn't a good sollution. Even when you use me.com and idisk and what not.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I second this, syncing is a pain in the rear. Macbook + external monitor seems like the way to go.

10. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

If you buy the new ACD 24'' there is no need for an additional power adapter. The ACD also charges your Macbook.