What to buy first mbp or imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jordb2k10, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Jordb2k10 macrumors newbie

Ok just want to see what most people think i should get at the moment. I currentlyhave a mac mini, iphone, and iPad. I'm close to buying my next piece and it is either going to be the iMac or the MBP.

Let me start by saying that i work in retail so having a laptop isn't going to help me much at work. I am going to go back to school so it's a benefit there. Originally i wanted the laptop mainly for sitting on the couch and doing all my work and play on the laptop. With the iPad its almost hard for me to imagine using anything else for web browsing now.

So I'm tempted to get an iMac first and wait on the MacBook pro I might even sell the mini to help offset some of the costs. Is there any reason to keep th mini right now its in my bedroom hooked up to my 46" tv. I suppose i could move it to the living room and put it on that tv and home theater system. I guess i need a reason to justify keeping it.

Thanks so much for everyone who helps out!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you even need iMac or MBP? You have desktop (Mini) and "laptop" (iPad) so what are you looking for?

Do you want a REAL laptop or REAL desktop? You now have "substitutes" IMO as Mini in TV ain't a "real" desktop and nor is iPad a "real" laptop.

Up to you

3. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Having just bought an iMac, and already having owned a unibody MBP, I'd say go for the iMac to replace the mini (if finances permits), especially since you own an iPad. Unless it's necessary (like for work), save your money.

4. Jordb2k10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say a lot of it is yes wanting real machines the mini is ok I guess but the iMac ive enjoyed everytime I played with one. I may not get the mbp for awhile because of the iPad.

5. Passenger88 macrumors member

Passenger88

Since you go back to school, I would by a macbook myself and keep the mini. If you don't like the mini or you need better specs I would sell it and buy a Mac.