What to buy for now while waiting for later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacJeep, May 10, 2005.

  1. MacJeep macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    Should I purchase the new 17" iMac with SD to experience Tiger with full G5 support, a Mac Mini, or even an iBook now while waiting for the following to occur:

    *iBook/Powerbook updates with hopefully better screen resolution either at WWDC or Mac Expo in Paris?
    *Dual Core G5 for PowerMac/iMac at WWDC or Mac Expo in Paris?

    Yes, I know the old saying goes, don't wait for tomorrow when you can live for today and everything you buy computer wise will be out of date before you walk out of the store. I'm just trying to figure out which technology I should spend my money on now, and more importantly how much of it, while waiting for the infamous Dual Core G5. I'm going on vacation the second weekend of July and I want something I can bring home to show off, which means I need something purchased no later than the middle of June so that I can have some time to learn OS X before bragging about it to my family members. Thank you in advance for any help.
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    I think the iMac is the most powerful of those machines, for "show off" purposes as otherwise. I wouldn't consider a portable unless you want portability.

    Furthermore, there is no visible timetable for either of the updates you are awaiting, so maybe you should get what you want now and not worry about them too much.
  3. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    Well, I'm trying to make sure that I don't spend too much money now and not have enough money then I guess. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just do it now instead of waiting for Apple to expand the FSB on either the iBook or the Powerbook or increasing the screen resolution to something better than 1440X900 max on the 17". I also want something I can bring back and forth to work on a regular basis, which I'm sure can be accomplished with the iLugger, but I wonder if it is supported under Apple Care.
  4. 36183 Guest

    Jun 24, 2004
    i would suggest the mac mini, because it is cheap to start with and i assumeyou already got the screen keyboard and mouse. the better thing is once you get your new mac you can just put your mac mini into your living room and use it as a media center.
  5. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    Can the mini handle Core Image? Yes, I would like to see all of the bells and whistles that come along with Core Image including the ripples that happen when you add a Widget to your desktop. OS X just looks freaking cool and makes Windows look like doggie doo. Also, can it handle all of the extras that come along with Tiger without any issues? Or will only a G5 be capable of that?
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    if you want all the bells and whistles then get the iMac, their newest upgrade make them a sweeet machine
  7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    iBooks will hopefully be updated by WWDC in the beginning of June. The iMac is an amazing machine right now, but I prefer laptops. I would wait until mid June and see if the iBook gets updated. If it doesn't, go with the base iMac. You can't go wrong with that machine.

  8. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    I'm trying to wait until WWDC, but the urge keeps pulling me towards the Apple Store site. *sigh* I've been lurking around the Apple website since 2002. I have finally decided that enough is enough, have horded up my allowance, sold my Dell laptop, and am doing my best to exercise the patience necessary to wait until the iBooks are updated. I'm going to go back to the calculator drawing board and see if I can manage both an iMac (home) and an iBook (work), or vise versa if I can get the nerve up to transport an iMac back and forth. *LOL* Oh well, back to the Apple Store and the calculator......
  9. 36183 Guest

    Jun 24, 2004
    remove all mac realted sites form your bookmarks, run pearpc on your system (if you must). then visit the apple store after WWDC.

    if you really are sick of waiting i suggest buying a used mac of ebay or looking in the "market place" forum of this site. there really is no point of buying a new system if it is only for "while you wait"

    edit: getting a refurbished machine is also a good idea, but do not over buy, remember that this is just a "while you wait" machine. you are likely to be handing it down to a family member once you get your new machine.
  10. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    *LOL* I don't know what I would do with myself if I removed all of my bookmarks related to Apple.
  11. sigamy macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Get a refubished Rev A iMac with combo drive for $899. Superdrive is $999. Those machines support Core Image and are a much better value than a mini or an iBook.
  12. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2005
    I thought the Rev A models were the ones with all the issues.

Share This Page