What to buy for video editing and when...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blue Eagle, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Blue Eagle macrumors newbie

So here is my situation. I need a computer to edit video on. I asked a friend of mine who is big into macs and he recommended an the iMac with FC Express pre-installed and at the time was around the $1800 range. Well as we know that's not an option anymore.

So I'm wondering what computer to buy now. I would have bought his recommendation earlier, but I'm just now getting the money. My previous experience editing has been on machines built primarily for Avid Express Pro HD. It was at my college and I spent some decent time on those. While I like them, I want to move to a mac. Any suggestions? I'm still liking the idea of an iMac. It would just be used for editing really. I have a laptop that I do all of my other stuff on for the most part.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

As I am sure you know, with video, usually the bigger screen the better, so if you are going the iMac route, go for the 24 incher. Top of the line would be nice, but you could get away with the 2.4 Ghz one with no problem. If you go the low end 24, then I'd add another GB of RAM from a 3rd Party. I'd also get a large FW800 external drive as a scratch disk. Other than that, once you add FCE, you are ready to go!

And obviously a Mac Pro would be best for this job if you are going to be doing this professionally, but the cost increase to get a Mac Pro is large. If you are just going to be doing this as a hobby, the new iMac will suit your needs great.

3. Blue Eagle thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I said 20-inch is because I may have something lying around I could pull off a dual-screen, if possible. I haven't read too much into that recently though. Plus the smaller screen wouldn't bother me too much. Like you said, top of the line would be nice, but I don't know if the need is that high. As much as I'd like to think it's for professional use, it would be more on the "hobby" standpoint. Although, I did edit a very nice wedding video on a horrible computer with vista this year that wasn't made for video at all.

I do plan on adding a gig of ram, but I just figured to do it through Apple. I'd almost be afraid to buy one from a third party and trying to put it in myself, especially on such a slim machine.