What To buy? (Imac, MB, iPhone ect.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sir Mudkip, Oct 15, 2008.

1. sir Mudkip macrumors member

sir Mudkip

Hi guys. I recently sold my old mac mini for a hefty gain, and have come into a source of income. I am looking for a gap to fill my desk maybe. I have a budget of $1000-$1500 au dollars. Here are my possibilities/considerations that i would think of getting.I just need some help deciding to justify any of these purchases:

Imac 20" (Brand new)
    Macbook 13" (Brand new)
    iPhone 3g 16gb White
    Black Macbook (Previous generation)
    PowerMac G5 (Ebay with dual 2.0)

I really am just looking for a mac (iPhone counts in this situation) to browse the internet, type word documents and not have a powerPC processor (got sick of my Mini's powerPC processor.)

I am also looking at buying one of the new cinema LED displays as a Christmas present for myself, should I?

2. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

If i was looking for a simple upgrade i think i would consider the new aluminium macbook, seems to be a very good balance :)

However i believe it lacks a firewire port. Keep that in mind.

3. kenned macrumors member

Well depends on how much portability you need.

If you don't need your computer everywhere you go, and just want to do some browsing when on-the-go, i would get an iMac / iPhone.

On the other hand, in order to drive the new apple display you would need to have one of the new notebooks with displayport. In this case you could buy the Macbook now and then later get yourself the new ACD.

Seems iPhone would be out of the budget if you go with the last option imo.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Very few people need or want a Firewire port. This guy does not need one.