What to buy iMac or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markiv810, May 26, 2010.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

Guys I need advice regarding mac purchase. I presently own a 1.6 Ghz Powermac G5 with 3 GB RAM. I am willing to shell out 2000 US dollars, which to me is a huge amount since I am based in India. I could go for the iMac 27 inch with i5 Quad Core, or I could go for MacBook Pro 15 inch with the i5 processor. Both the machines would cost the same. I would prefer the iMac as it would beat the MacBook pro in terms of performance any day, plus the sceen size would be amazing. I am a little apprehensive to say the least about iMac 27 inch as there were plenty issue regarding the yellow tint of the screen, the ticking sound of hard drive and heat. Has Apple been able to successfully address the issues with the i5/i7 based 27" iMac. Thanks in advance.

2. DontMacTheGyver macrumors regular

DontMacTheGyver

Go now for the MBP or wait for the next iMac update...

3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

You live in India? Perhaps mobility is more important than a 21.5 or for that matter 27 inch imac.... The screen resolution on a the 17 inch MBP matches that of the 21.5 inch imac and even on the 15" MBP 1680x1050 is good enough for most users. As the previous post stated, I would wait for the next imac revision if desire ultimate screen real estate and performance or bite the bullet and get a MBP. or.......

The current imacs are nice but the current issues should be ironed out for the next revision which will of course offer even more performance for the money.

4. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

iMac is bigger. Cheaper. More powerful. Less likely to fail and has apple care less than 50% of that a mbp

5. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in India and PowerBook was my first ever mac, I am currently using a 7 year old PowerMac G5. I don't care so much for mobility, in fact 17 inch iMac would be a better choice as such a huge real estate is difficult to steal (I am quite forgetful and tend to lose/misplace my stuff). The desktops are always more powerful than the laptops, plus I already got a PC laptop, and am looking for something which would replace my current setup. I was gonna hold my urge to purchase till WWDC, maybe Apple would announce/introduce a new version of iMac (maybe even change the form factor a bit, throw in an e-SATA port). With WWDC just round the corner, do you guys think that Apple might introduce/revise the current iMac lineup. Thanks for your advice guys.