What To Buy - iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I bought the base "15 MBP thirteen days ago and I'm starting to wonder...95% of the time I use my Laptop as a Desktop...should I return it?

I spent $1,699 on the MacBook Pro with the discount and I could get the base iMac for $1,149. With that money saved I could get an iPad or Air if I'm ever on the go.

I do love the MBP...but I'm wondering if this would be the better option and how good the baseline iMac compares to the baseline MBP?

If I go iMac and iPad I would spend $1,649 and with the MBP it's $1,699.

I need help...so help! lol

2. 2ndname macrumors member

If the iPad's mobile computing is enough for you when you are on the go then I would suggest that you go the iMac + iPad route. You must also consider how your setup is at home. Are you always stationed on your work desk at home or do you prefer the ability to move around to the living room or even the bedroom and etc.?

3. atMac macrumors 6502

The only way you can really decide is if you ask yourself.
    1. Do you always use your MBP in the same place, your desk, or do you move around with it?
    2. How willing are you to give up that 5% of time you are not using it like a desktop?

The base iMac has a faster GPU than the MBP, but in some situations the MBP will have a faster CPU than the iMac. They have the same RAM speed.

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

The obvious issue is whether you need it to be mobile or not. If not, the iMac is the better choice in general IMHO unless you're the type that simply enjoy using laptops over desktop computers.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm usually always at my desk.
    I have a PC Laptop that I use around the house because I have 3 crazy white beagles and I don't want to get any hair (we vacuum like once a week cuz they shed) from them on this thing. I also am so damn delicate with this thing that it just sits on my desk. (The AppleCare would be cheaper too)

I don't know if I'm just bored with it (it's great, but the grass is always greener) or if I want and iPad and that would make more sense.

I know I need to pull the trigger tomorrow so I have a couple questions.

Does the portable keyboard that comes with the iMac have backlights on it?
    I love the trackpad on this thing...is the magic trackpad just as good?
    Could I use the time machine backup I have right now on the iMac?
    How do I erase everything off of this MBP so my passwords/credit card isn't left on this machine?

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

well if you go to school, travel (flying around) or just want power on the go i'd get the macbook. to me the imac+ipad seems more like if your always locally around and going on long drives (i wish i had an ipad when i when on a road trip :p)
    had this dilemma too but I decided to go with the macbook its pretty much everything in between... an imac+ipad = macbook :D

7. ghsNick, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah I agree. But I don't do a lot of traveling or work on the go. If I do use my laptop on the go it's for movies/music while traveling.

And if the new Airs rock I could always get the cheapest one for on the go.

I don't know...tough decisions. But from the looks of things, I'm not using this on the go like I should be.

Maybe because it's summer and I haven't got to take advantage of it in classes?

If I buy the iMac tomorrow and back my MBP up to Time Machine, will I be able to restore the iMac from my Time Machine so I can keep and use all my files?

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Bump...I'm about to go buy today. Soon.
    Give me approval on how to spend/exchange my money MacRumors :D

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend doing a Time Machine backup AND a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner. Also make sure the MBP is currently on 10.6.8.

10. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Would I install the backup directly on the first load up screen when it asked if I want to restore? Or should I login for the first time like usual...update the iMac...and then re-start it and do a restore?

And Carbon Copy Cloner? I only have 70 GB's of stuff...do you still recommend me using it?

11. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

It doesn't matter how many GBs you have. The day your hard drive fails you will be sorry for not making daily backups.

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Restoring from CCC will also make restoring much, much easier than restoring from Time Machine, since you can literally just clone back

13. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

How do I completely erase this MBP's HDD so none of my info is on it when I return it?

14. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Pop in the Snow Leopard disc and boot from it. In the installer, load up disk utility and just erase the drive. You can go into security options and do a zero-out too. After that, you can just go ahead and reinstall Snow Leopard onto the machine, and you should be good to go.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You're the most indecisive person I have ever "met" lol. You make all of these threads asking questions about mbp's, spend months deciding between glossy or antiglare and now you don't want it lol.

To wipe the hdd, use disc utility and zero out the drive.

16. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

And I'm still indecisive.
    I am such a wimp with this thing...I don't move it from my desk. So it makes sense to get the iMac and get either an iPad or Air for on the go.

I don't know...I hate being indecisive :(

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I was in a similar situation. I've just moved from the MBP 15" to an iMac as I wasn't leaving my desk very often, and for when I do, I've got the iPad to cover email and browsing and the like.

Best decision I've made in a while.

18. theturtle macrumors 6502a

i usually hate being a dickhead but i have to agree with pirate here. alot of the threads you made were regarding what you should buy and than when you finally bought one, you seem to regret it.

a mac is an heavy investment, you should have made a firm decision in the beginning.

that being said, your plan of a imac+a new air would eclipse the price of the macbook you have right now. With the money you'll get back from the return, im not sure if you'll even have enough to cover a 2011 base imac+a refurb 2010 11 air after taxes.

when you start doing processor intensive stuff and traveling around im sure your gonna think "gee, i wonder if i should have just kept the macbook pro"

if its the amount of money thats making your hesitant regarding the 15, i say just buy the imac and a used ipad.

but from a student who has a ipad, its not very functional during class unless you want to bring a keyboard to take notes. but than why dont u just buy a laptop.

19. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Get the iMac otherwise your just spending money to get a lesser spec'd machine.

Now for the MBA or iPad dilemma. What will you do with that machine? If it's purely messing around get the iPad because it's cheaper. If you really need to do some work (word processing, coding, keynote presentations) get the MBA. If you want multiple windows opened at once get the AIR. Your running out of time just return your MBP and wait until you figure every thing out.

20. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Thanks again for the help guys and sorry for bugging ya.
    I just wiped the HDD and resetting to Zero now.
    When I'm done how do I put SL back on?

And right now the iMac will suit my needs and I'll probably go with an iPad seeing as I mess around (internet, music, movies, game) when portable.

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

basically if you aren't going to move your mbp at all ever, you might as well just go for the imac. i had the same thought after i bought my mbp as it usually sits on a desk or table, but i mean, i can move it anywhere, take it anywhere and i like having that ability even though it's on a desk most of the time. plus i just prefer laptops, which is something you can ask yourself as well. you can move an imac of course but a laptop is more fluid so to speak in doing so more frequently.

22. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

OMG...I just got this thing and it's sick.
    All in all I received $800 in return for returning the SquareTrade warranty and exchanging the MBP.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate the help!