What to buy in NY?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
So I'm going to be in New York City this Saturday and Sunday before I leave for my year of studying abroad, and my uncle (with whom I'll be staying in Manhatten) told me to bring money to buy "stuff need to buy, like cameras, ipods, ibook accessories; and must have clothes that you don't need like cool shoes". Now, I must say that I'm a bit of a stranger to shopping in a city like NY, so, my question is...

What should I buy in New York? I know there's quite a lot of stores there, so what's cool and what do you recommend? For the purposes of these recommendations, lets keep the cost of any particular item below $500, shall we?

Thanks! :)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Of course....I plan on ESPNZone, at least....

But what stores should I go to? Apple store on 5th Avenue, of course....what else?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
jelloshotsrule said:
go to mamoun's. mmmmmmmm 2 bucks for a very tasty falafel. it's on the west side of macdougal just south of 3rd street.
I'm going to Israel to study abroad, so I don't think I'll be wanting any falafel just yet. After all, I don't want to get sick of them. :)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
You've got to buy a tacky souvenir! Something like a toy yellow cab or a miniature Statue of Liberty :D

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
jelloshotsrule said:
go to mamoun's. mmmmmmmm 2 bucks for a very tasty falafel. it's on the west side of macdougal just south of 3rd street.

mamoun's is the best! if you like hot sauce, they have the best! last time i was there though they were kinda stingey (sp?) with it.

the best kebabs (kabobs) you'll find. i think they're Turkish, not Israeli so you should check it out, it will be different to what you'll have in Israel.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
asherman13 said:
I'm going to Israel to study abroad, so I don't think I'll be wanting any falafel just yet. After all, I don't want to get sick of them. :)
i ate mamoun's daily for a month or two. you will NOT get sick of it.

what kind of kebobs do you get that are veggie, evo? just grilled veggie kabobs?

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
asherman13 said:
Good call! Any particular shops/stores that are cool?

Apple store 5th Avenue! :p

Anything you want to buy, NYC has it, at any quality and any price. For camera equipment B&H is the place to go. Plus it has the added benefit of being run entirely by Hasidic Jews, which should give you a bit of preperation for Israel. :D

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
jelloshotsrule said:
you might have more success giving us an idea what kind of stuff you're into, besides macs... target our suggestions
As of now, I'll probably go to Lacoste, A&F, B&H Photo and the Apple Store for shopping. I'm looking to spend a little bit of money in those places or places like them, so what do you recommend?

albertfreestyle

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
California
ok asherman13, heres the deal..i went in June and had a great time (my 3rd)...you'll love it

In the time warner building you will find a restaurant called Per Se (Thomas Keller), awesome meal. During the day T. Keller has a cafe in the same building called Bouchon...wonderful, enjoy your lunch while overlooking central park.

shopping, u have to visit Earnest Cut and Sew on Washington St. (Earnest Sewn) - the denim label’s only freestanding store, you’ll find a custom-jeans service. A staffer takes measurements while you pick out buttons, thread color, and a back-pocket design. (for the same price you can buy them anywhere)

or if you need some (benchmade) shoes...Barker Black on Elizabeth St.

NYC also has a VERY large H&M store...and of course, Barneys, and after all that, go to apple. :)

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Go to H&M in SoHo. Good, cheap clothes! Their underwear is fantabulous :).

I leave for NYC tomorrow morning for university! I'm so excited :D. I've missed it so much!

e

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
If you want some designer sneaks at a discount, go to Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) in Union Square. They usually have LaCoste, Puma etc...
Also, there is a shoe store on the corner next to DSW(can't remember the name)
across from Virgin.

And then, walk down Broadway past 8th street, there's all kinds of clothing stores.

J&R Music and Computer World for electronics and yes, B&H is quite the experience.

irain

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2005
Buy some Tasti D-Lite!!! They have several shops around NYC. Best stuff in the world. It's like ice cream, except they don't consider it ice cream beacuse it's not make of milk nor cream I'm pretty sure. So many flavors too.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Bagels

An "I <heart> NYC" t-shirt

Don't they have an ESPNZone in San Fran? Why would you want to waste time going to a national chain in NYC? Maybe I'm missing something.