What to buy ? Is both worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrerSam, Jul 5, 2012.

1. BrerSam macrumors member

I currently have a 2010 Macbook Pro as my main computer, an iPhone and a Galaxy S3.

In 2 weeks i am moving to America to a shared apartment with limited space so won't really have the option of sitting at a desk and the majority of my computing will be on my bed, sofa etc so i am thinking of selling my Macbook Pro and picking up a 2012 Macbook Air,

I won't have any time for gaming and things like that and i rarely do them these days, but my question is i am also thinking of selling my iPhone and sticking to the Galaxy S3 until iPhone 5 release and picking up a iPad with the money from that to use around the apartment.

Is it worth having both a iPad and a Air or should i just keep my 2010 Macbook and get the iPad?

Which size air is best? And what combination do you think would suit my needs more.

2. supermarino macrumors newbie

Stick with what you got and buy an iPad if you really think it's necessary. I use my 13 inch MacBook Pro from the bed, the couch, a desk, wherever. Unless you have a 17 inch one, I can't imagine you having difficulty using it - and even then, I don't imagine it would be much of a hassle. As long as you're happy with the quality of your laptop, no real reason to change.

As for an iPad, it's a tough call. You have the iPhone so you already are accustomed to the apps and what it can do. Really the iPad is just a bigger version of that. It serves it's purpose, but between my fiancee and I, we have an iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rare item these days, i hear!), a Kindle Touch and a MacBook Pro. I almost never touch the iPad. I use the Tab only for one or two apps that I like for comic/manga reading (that aren't on the iPad, else I wouldn't really care which I used) and some light web browsing. The Kindle gets used solely for reading books (you know, it's only purpose). I use the MacBook for everything else.

If you're going to be out and about with your device often, an iPad or MBA would be great. If it's mostly for home use, stick with your current MBP and maybe an iPad - if the Galaxy S3 and current iPhone don't do it for you.

3. recharge23 macrumors regular

I think if you go with the Air, you don't really need an iPad for on the bed/on the couch. My wife always has her Air handy so she rarely goes for the iPad if it's laying close by.