What to buy: MB/MBA/MBP, Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SteveO247, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SteveO247 macrumors newbie

Ok... I've had my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 Aluminum since 2005, the screen is gonna die very soon, and just the other week, the HD crapped out. I've replaced the HD, but it has become too frustrating to try and get the screen to act normal. Also, because I have a work-provided Lenovo X60 (very small and portable, but it's not a Mac), my GF dominates the PBG4 usage ("You have a perfectly fine laptop from work!" she always says).

Anyway, I was waiting until after wwdc, JIC a new one was announced. I don't really want to wait until Mac World, but if someone makes a case for it, I just might.

I will typically use this computer for LOTS of Web based content/sufing, Office '08, iPhoto, and MobileME (when it's available), plus some other programs here and there.

I would like to try out BootCamp, unless people think it's overrated, and I also own Adobe CS2, but I can leave that on the PBG4, if the new one can't handle it.

Just so I get everyone's honest opinion, assume money is not an object.

I value the following (1. Most - 7. Least):
    #1. Portability
    #2. Power/Speed
    #3. Display
    #4. Durability
    #5. Storage
    #6. Longevity
    #7. Appearance

Thanks in advance for any direction!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Your uses don't really require any of the additional extras which MacBook Pro has. You don't require a dedicated GPU to perform any of the tasks you specify, so we can rule that out as being a money waster.

I really don't think the MacBook Air is all that much more portable than the regular MacBook. Yeah, it's a little bit lighter and a little bit thinner (at its thickest point it really isn't that much thinner than the MacBook) but it is vastly more expensive and you get a far less powerful machine. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

That leaves us with the trusty MacBook.

3. SteveO247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Neiltc13,

I'm just concerned about the weight... as I HATE lugging around my PBG4 because it's bulky, and weighs approx. 5.6 lbs. After reading the specs on a MB (about 5lbs), I'm worried it's still going to be annoying. Aside from overall weight and some thickness, are there any major differences between the MBA & MB? Why do you advise against it (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thanks again!

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The processor is much slower and the hard drive is also much slower (and smaller). I really despise it because you're paying a lot more money for a lot less machine. I also think the black keyboard on the silver frame looks really bad too.

5. SteveO247 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm almost there, but I'm stuck on the final question...

Back-lit keys and LED Display... Is it noticeable/worth the extra $$$?
    Glossy/Matte screen finish?
    5400 v. 7200 tpm drive?

Thanks in advance!

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The LED display is something which you'll only notice if you've got two machines sitting side-by-side. There isn't so much of a difference that it's instantly noticeable either. See this article for more information.

With the 7200rpm drive you'll find that it depletes your battery quicker as it requires more power to spin the disc faster. Precisely how much I have no idea, but it may be an issue.

In my opinion the backlit keys aren't worth the money because I've found that when I've been using my computer in the dark the light from the display is more than enough to actually illuminate the keys anyway. I'd call the backlit keys more of a gimmick than anything else.

I really do think that the MacBook is more than enough of a machine for you. Plenty power and a nice keyboard!

7. Savagestorm macrumors member

I've actually just ordered a macbook air, and it had alot to do with the comment people have made about the portability of the Air. *I have used both a Macbook and an Air, albeit for a short period of time, but I felt that the differance in performance is negligable, at least for the usual task. It is Very light, and is just nicer to carry.

*Many of the people that where very impressed where people that travel, and that tend to carry the laptop for long periods/distances, and those who use it on trains/planes etc.

[rant]I feel many people miss the point of the air. It's a displayed of engineering, and quite a niche product. Yes you pay more, and get lower specs, but you get the mobility and style. Everyone likes more power, but I've accepted that I rarely do CPU intensive tasks, and for me although I love speed, (current PC is a dual core 3.2ghz, with 4gb ram), I, and many others like me won't see a huge differance, as our core use is internet browsing, email, Microsoft Office, and Video. [/rant]

8. Vster macrumors 6502

I'd say that if number 1 is portability then the MBA has a slight advantage. But power/speed, and storage go to the MacBook.

IMO the display, durability, longevity and appearance are pretty much the same for both (I know the MBA is pretty, but the MacBook is sweet as well).

So in your case its pretty even except for the price (total cost + external superdrive for MBA if you want) and the whole MBA having a not to easily removed battery (which I'm not a all familiar with).

I'd say go mess with them at the Apple store or Best Buy and see which one feels like SteveO247...:D

9. SteveO247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright... Today is the day I will be going to get my new macbook, so here is my final question...

If I want to run bootcamp, or Parallels Desktop smoothly with XP or Vista, will the macbook be able to handle it? Or do I need the MBP?

Thanks
    -SteveO247

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Any of the new Macs will run XP and/or Vista

11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I'd like to see the answers to the Parallel question...

Sounds like you ruled the Air out. As I have posted in other threads, I bought one and returned it 3 days later for the Black MacBook and haven't regretted it . It was too slow for me and I wasn't happy about how quick the hard drive was disappearing as I started adding stuff.

I gave my 1½ year old Macbook Pro to my son. I never needed all the MBP has but he's a DJ and his 12"G4 was starting to sputter and it runs all his equipment. I bought the Pro refurbished and spent what the new MacBook cost. So I agree with all the other posts that the MacBook will be sufficient. I have a large iTunes library so I wanted the 250 gig drive and I liked the Black. A lot of people still say they get stains on the White. I put a clear Speck case on mine to save it from scratches and whatever you do, add Ram.

I want to hear what others say about Parallels too, but I would imagine it will work fine. My MB just screams. Some people even play Guitar HeroIII on it. I'm going to buy it and try it out. Good luck with your purchase.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

ehh? What do you mean?

Bootcamp just allows you to install Windows on an intel Mac for dual-booting. How can it be overrated? :/

13. SteveO247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Overrated vs. Parallels Desktop.

------

Also, does anyone know if a future os update could possibly activate multi-touch on a macbook, or is it completely different hardware?

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

1) umm... booting windows natively isn't any different from running windows on a regular PC. Parallels lets you run many OSes at once at a cost of performance.

2) Not likely.