What to buy / new apples

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DELINDA, Apr 14, 2010.

1. DELINDA macrumors regular

I have a white 13"/ 10.6.3/ 2GHZ core2 duo/ 2GB ram and 48.02 available space . I redo documents and surf and read forums and the news and send e-mails . I use PScs3 to play with . Which of the new 13" or 15" would suit my needs . What I have now seams to work for now. My concern is with the updates I keep downloading will I have the memory and space for the things as time goes on ? To many choices with this new i5 & i7 . I don't understand them and need to read up on what they are . So what are your thoughts ?Thanks

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I think if you just surf the web, edit documents, and email your current Macbook is just fine. Heck you don't even game on it (use your PS3 instead) so the new graphics card in the MBP isn't of much use to you. In your case I'd just save the $$ and instead maybe just upgrade your hard drive (a 500GB hard drive can be had for about $80-$90 and its a very simple hardware swap).

But I find that Apple Software updates usually keep the free space on my drive the same or even gives me some space left! Unlike Windows Updates that just keeps eating my disk space lol.

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Your not for real? Are you? With your tasks a PPC G4 that is 4 years will do everything your doing now. Unless of course you have money in your pocket thats burning a hole. In that case get a 17" i7.

4. Raje macrumors member

Your current MB is just fine. If you want it to feel faster upgrade the RAM to 4gbs and install an SSD for about $600-$700 and buy an external enclosure for your old HDD.

5. DELINDA thread starter macrumors regular

what to buy

Thanks guy's , your all on the mark . No Ca$flow I don't have cash 2 burn . I want to pass my 13" down 2 the wife . But hears another thought . What will the future hold for core 2 duo ? I was going to load SL into our I Mac and found out it could not be done and therefore we are still running Leopard , thats ok . Is the consensus that i5&7 will take the place of core 2 and it to will need replacing in five or so years ? I accept the fact that technology changes daily and that to keep up will be at a cost . So be it . All I 'm looking for is to stretch that time out a bit . At the moment a 13" 2.66 with 500HD sounds good or maybe 15" 2.4 . Both look good and costly :>(

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Get a refurb core 2 duo - they're going for about 20% of their former price. And grab the free printer (after rebate) while you're there too.

7. thecheda macrumors 6502

Dilemma

I have the same dilemma currently with my older 15 inch. For you, I would just stick with the older computer, and upgrade the usual parts.

8. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Your current Mac is more than sufficient for the needs you've described. Buy an external usb-powered hard drive if you're concerned about space.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

SL will load on that macbook just fine.

No idea how a SSD is $600-700, maybe thats a gold plated one.

Assuming your wife is like mine, she doesnt need much space. I dunno what 48 gigs left means when we have no idea how much you are starting with.

Hoping that by Xmas this year 64 gig SSDs will be under $100. (they are $150 now)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150636 1421430848&name=64GB

Drop that in her Macbook = whole new experience

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's like saying a bicycle has wheels, thus it must be in the same class as a Ferrari.

Cheap SSD can differ widely in performance from top of the line SSD.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2