Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What to buy next? Aperture 2 or Final Cut Express

• Aperture 2

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Final Cut Express

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I'm a hobbyist. I'm into music, movies, and photography. Only a hobby; no source of income.

With that said, I love Garageband, iPhoto, and iMovie. I've been using them for about 3 years now and have pretty much mastered them all.

I bought a new 8 core Mac Pro and I am ready to go Pro. My wife just bought me Logic Studio for my birthday, so that's taken care of.

I helped my wife out on a job she had and I have been awarded with the choice of either Aperture 2 or Final Cut Express. Decisions, decisions.

We have threee kids, and I have to admit, although I love making home movies of them, I do tend to take more pictures of them than I do video. I have a little over 10,000 images of them alone. Not to mention all the other pictures I take.

I'm leaning more towards Aperture. But some of the power of Aperture lies in your cameras ability to output RAW files. While my Kodak point and shoot is great, it's no Nikon. I do however have a HD720 video camera that could benefit from Final Cut Express. I don't like the way iMovie 08 works. And while I like iMovie 06, I think it's kind of laking in the HD department when it comes to the stuff I'm working on. And some of my HD video looks kind of "jerky" once I've put it though iDVD. Maybe it's just me, but after seeing the Final Cut demos on apple.com, iMovie 06 seems kind of slow and clunky.

I think I'm leaning more towards Aperture. Especially since I've been dying to get my hands on a real SLR camera. Whatever one I don't get now I'll probably end up getting for Christmas, so it's all about which one do I prefer to have now. What do you guys think? Aperture 2 or Final Cut Express?

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
Even if your camera does not shoot RAW another one of Aperture's strong features is photo management. On the other hand, FCE is great for HD video. But 10,000 photos? I would get Aperture.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Even if your camera does not shoot RAW another one of Aperture's strong features is photo management. On the other hand, FCE is great for HD video. But 10,000 photos? I would get Aperture.

It's just 10,000 for my boys. I probably have 20,000 if you count all my other pics too.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Yup, after looking over the pages and tutorials again at apple.com, I think Aperture is the way to go.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.