What to buy? Old MPB or New MB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sir Nycho, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Sir Nycho macrumors newbie

Sir Nycho

Hey guys!

I'm on the verge of buying a Mac.
    I will be buying an old MPB or the new MB (2.4Ghz)

These are the specs of the old MBP:
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.4Ghz, Nvidia 8600GT 265MB, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 200GB HD, Apple MacOS 10.5
    But I heard that there were some problems with that 8600GT. But I didn't really quite get what the problem was?

I would love the bigger screen, but if the gpu is too much of a pain in the ass I would rather go for te new MB.

I'll be using it for school work (writing papers and stuff), surfing the internet and photoshop.
    I won't be gaming!

So I guess my question really is: Do I need to worry about that GPU, or can I just go ahead and buy that MBP?

Thanks!

PS: I'm new to Mac and to this forum, so please be a bit gentle on me :D.
    If you have any questions, please ask!

2. Andyee85 macrumors member

I was in the same dilemma as you, but found a great deal on the early 08 MBP (specs in my sig.) for 1199, and I couldn't pass it up. Reading some of the other forums I saw some have had no problems and other have gotten it repaired only for it to fail again. I say if you get a good deal, go for it, and use the extra money for applecare.

hope it helped a little.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

GET the MBP! its a little bit better than the MB and also you got the bigger screen(you said photoshop) if you happen to get a f#d up GPU just send it abck to apple! :D

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Agreed. Unless you're obsessed with the unibody style, the MBP is the way to go.

5. Sir Nycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Sir Nycho

I like the unibody, no doubt about that, but it is not enough of argument to make me buy the new MB.

I guess I'll buy the MBP. Should be able to pick it up next saturday :)