What to buy - please help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kikobarbada, Jun 28, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Good morning.

I currently have a iBook G4 and I'm tired of upgrading RAM and stuff all the time so I saved up some money to buy a new Macbook. I am going to buy the white Macbook 2.16Ghz with 2gb ram and 160hd. I was wondering if it's worth to pay a few hundred more bucks to get the black colour and if I should buy an ADC student membership to make it cheaper.

Also, how many years can I use the macbook until it is completely out of date like the G4 is today?

Thanks a lot, Kiko.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The black is really more of a personal preference, it wont yellow over time like the white will, but other than that the color is really all you pay for. it will only be out of date when you feel like it is, but a good guess is probably around three years you will start feeling like it is out of date.

3. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess I am going to pass on the blackbook and stick with the white one. I guess what I mean by out of date is when most regular applications are incompatible with the computer or too slow. I guess when the Macbook low-ends have Intel processors of 3.0 ghz speed and 4gb ram by default, mine will be out of date.

Is that reasonable?

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Comparing processor speed of 2.16 MHz to 3.0 and a doubling of preinstalled memory will likely make your Macbook feel its age. However, if day-to-day needs are continuing to be satisfactorily met, do not allow yourself to become overly concerned about what has become available since you made the purchase.

The constantly evolving nature of the tech industry will always give people angst and buyer's remorse. I am still using my iMac G3 which I bought in September 2000. Something new will be chosen soon, but my modest needs are still adressed by what some would call an antiquated relic. Let common sense rule the day.

5. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I'll buy a new one when the 3-year warranty is over.

6. mavherzog macrumors 6502

You've upgraded the RAM "and stuff" in your iBook multiple times? If so, I am impressed. I did a hard drive upgrade on my last gen iBook (12", 1.33Ghz G4) and couldn't believe how ridiculous the process was. No way I would bother going back in for a second upgrade. :)

7. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

They can be tough to upgrade, thats why Im buying the top of the lead macbook so I can stay with it for a while.

8. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Buy the lowest end Macbook Pro with your discount. 2.2 processor, 2 gigs of Ram. You will not be disappointed.

9. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

It'll fit snugly in your backpack... ;)

Joking aside, I have an iBook G4 which I am looking to sell to buy a new macbook. The model I have hasn't discoloured at all. In fact it's as shiny now as it was when I bought it. No nasty yellow. I suppose if you smoke that "may" be an issue though???

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I would suggest this route as well, except that the OP seems to be taking his current fiscal position into consideration. If money isn't readily available, then the middle macbook seems to be a good choice. Just don't waste your money getting the students' developer discount; it's not worth it on a macbook. Instead, as you approach graduatio, get it, and then buy a fully loaded 15" or 17" with all the trimmings. You'll really notice the advantage of the developer discount for that kind of purchase.