What to buy? SSD, HDD, USB Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeutie, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jeutie, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

jeutie macrumors member

jeutie

Greetings!

I recently purchased a Retina Macbook Pro. Being the base model, storage space is quite limited. I have a NAS to solve that issue, though I'm looking for some additional portable storage; I'm debating whether to get a 64GB or 128GB USB flash drive, or a slightly larger external hard drive. Space isn't an issue as long as it is over 64GB however write/read speeds is.

If going for an external hard drive, being future proof is key I guess. Easily exchangeable connectors à la Seagate GoFlex, SATA III, 7200RPM and USB 3.0 at least would be appreciated. As for a flash drive, I guess USB 3.0 would be the biggest thing to look out for. - To add to that, I can salvage an SSD out of my gaming rig, alas a good enclosure would be sufficient as well. Last but not least, I cannot use anything that requires 2 USB ports to provide power. (Only 1 USB port on each side of the Macbook.)

Can anyone suggest me what to get whilst keeping costs low and quality (speed) high? Thanks already!

2. bf2008 macrumors member

Could you explain in more detail what you got, how much more space you need and for what? That would help

3. jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

Like I said I already have a NAS for my real storage needs; I need something to transfer files between my Macbook and any colleagues / friends computers (Both Windows and Mac) as well as hooking it up to a TV or so. Storage space isn't much of an issue as long as it is at least 64GB. (Have a 256GB SSD that I can salvage, but then I'd need a pretty darn good enclosure.) Speeds, both read and write is the thing I'm after as I need the device to quickly transfer files between computers. I do not intend to use it for backups or the likes, alas the required space is not that big.

4. bf2008 macrumors member

I don't know how to help you with this, you seem to know what you're talking about... I'd compare the different speeds, storage sizes and so on and decide. Probably a USB3 memory stick is probably the best if it's just to move files around or to connect to a tv.

5. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

I'd say just a USB 3. I mean unless you plan on transferring big files I'd go with a thunderbolt (pricey but worth it), but even then depending on your friends' computers. That may not even be an option.

You seem to know what you are looking for. It just takes a little searching :)
    Newegg is a great website. Even Fry's if they have them new youu

6. ZacT94 macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting a thunderbolt external hard drive for my rMBP so I don't have to use my other USB port (one is already being used by a USB modem)

7. jeutie, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

I know somewhat what I am looking for, the culprit is that I can't find an USB 3.0 with 64GB of storage, good reviews (speed-wise) and indication of full Mac compatibility. Perhaps you folks know of a product that works well or an alternative product that would suit my needs.

*edit*

I was looking into the Kingston HyperX 3.0, but it does not state it being Mac compatible. I don't think flash storage if re-formatted would be incompatible but it's quite expensive to take the risk.