What to buy with $100 App Store gift card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lilcorey10, Jun 21, 2012.

1. lilcorey10 macrumors member

Just got the gift card from Apple after buying my MBP. What are some great apps I should get?

2. BigZ9 macrumors member

3. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I started with Pages and Numbers. Considering buying one of the older GTA games but I believe (not yet tested) that you can buy anything in iTunes with the gift card not just in the Mac App Store.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The gift card applies to all online Apple digital stores. Books, music, videos, iOS apps, Mac Apps.

To the OP Seeing as you bought a new mac and will get Mountain Lion for free. I'd recommend some iWork apps if you don't already have them.

5. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

If you work with imagery

But do not need photoshop, try Pixelmator.

6. Acidglaze macrumors member

Download Comixology's comics app and start buying some comic books! They're great in the iPad.

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Does anyone know whether you get two gift cards if you buy two computers (one transaction)?

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

well you would have to purchase a notebook and a desktop as per the EDU eligibility agreement. If you do that I guess you would get two gift cards.

9. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

You do, I did, I was advised to do so by the staff member in store serving me.

You have to do them as separate transactions though, but you can do them one after the other!

Online if you order, it automatically puts 2 gift cards in your basket too, that was my prepared argument too incase they denied me the benefit in store, but before I even brought it up the staff member suggested the 2 separate purchases route!

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Sparrow - Great e-mail client. Try the Lite version first if you'd like
    Pulp - Awesome news reader

Let us know what you use your Mac for in the first place. It'd help a lot. :)

11. jpine macrumors 6502

I know the OP is looking for apps, but I picked up an ATV with a gift card I got for Christmas. I'm happy I did.

12. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If you need to remote into Windows machines, I suggest Jaadu RDP. It's $25 but is a fantastic program.

13. dba415 macrumors 6502

I'd sell it, sucks that apple stopped giving out free ipods

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would have rather the gift card myself. Because then the first thing I could do is get on my brand new computer and buy some apps in the App Store which is staring right there in front of me on my dock. The iPods are nice, but I'm pretty sure the people buying these computers already have one, an iPhone, or an iPad. It makes more sense to give them more money instead to invest in that machine they just bought. Because in the end, they just end up going on eBay or used as gifts.

15. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

when I purchased my mbp I sold the iPod for 200$. I then used some of that money for apps and pocketed the rest. That system is much better for the end user.