what to buy WITH a 13 in mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldaniel7, Feb 13, 2012.

1. eldaniel7, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

eldaniel7 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My question is not what mbp (or mba) to buy but what to buy WITH the macbook pro. I'm getting the most basic 13in macbook pro as a base and want to know what else should I buy right away

*Macbook Pro
    *Mini display to VGA (for proyectors)
    *Mini display to HDMI (for everything else)
    *Magic mouse
    *Apple remote (How much is it used? Is it still the crappy IR remote from the old white macbooks?)
    *Neoprene sleeve

*...what else??

is the incase neoprene sleeve from the official store worth the 40 bucks?? Is there any benefit from buying in the official www.apple.com/store rather than, let's say, macmall.com (I would get the magic mouse for free in the last one)?

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it make sense to buy AppleCare right before your 1 year warranty is over? I mean, that way you get 4 year coverage instead of just 3 year coverage.

In any event, I think it would be rather foolish of you to go out and buy accessories that you're not even sure you need.

Something like the Neoprene Sleeve is okay as it protects your investment, but how about you gauge your usage of your machine and then buy accessories as dictated by your needs?

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

With AppleCare, it's not an additional 3 years. It extended your original warranty for an additional 2 years, totaling 3 years.

No matter when you buy AppleCare, it's 1 year warranty + 2 years additional protection AFTER one year warranty is up.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clearing that up, I always wondered why people bought it immediately.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I like Speck cases, got one on the wife’s MBP13 and on my MBP15. Pretty much removes any concern about it getting scratched up, plus I like the tactile feel.

Personally, when I use the built-in KB/display, I use the trackpad as well, so I’d pass on the MM (that being said, it’s great for a “desktop” configuration, i.e., outboard display and KB).

Also, there’s phone support after 90 days for the first year with AC, so it even improves the service/support during the first year.

[​IMG]

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Actually, nothing was cleared up.

People buy Applecare right away because it gives you continuous phone support. Otherwise, if you don't think you'll need it then by all means wait to buy Applecare 364 days after your mac purchase.

I spilled coffee on a MBP 4 months after buying it. Although it's fine, I'm sure the liquid sensors were tripped thereby voiding any additional 2 year extension AppleCare would have provided. Had I gotten Applecare right away I'd have had to go through the hassle of getting my AC money back. (And most people don't even try).

OP: I don't see a RAM upgrade on your list. It's a no-brainer at current prices.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I never purchased anything with my MBP i got accessories and adapters as i needed them

9. TYPEII macrumors newbie

Applecare (cheaper from places like B&H), Speck case, 8gb of Crucial RAM and a SSD of your choice... That's what I did.

10. eldaniel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the best thing to do, but I'm from Chile (south-america) and a friend of mine is bringing it to me from the states. I still can buy everything here, but way more expensive (19% Tax for starters)

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I have apple care, a Magic Mouse, A magic trackpad, an apple remote, a ram upgrade, and an MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor. This way most projectors use it, and i can use an hdmi cable as well.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I buy the video out adapters from monoprice.com. The Apple Remote is now metal instead of plastic, but do you really need it for a laptop computer?? If you've never used a Magic Mouse, try it out before you buy. I use an Incase Nylon Sleeve Plus which has room for power cord, mouse, and adapters. The Incase Sleeve does a great job of keeping the computer pristine.

Unless you value convenience over money, don't buy any accessories from Apple, because they charge full list price.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Magic mouse, AppleCare, mini to VGA, incase sleeve

14. eldaniel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

The extra memory is 200 bucks. Is it really necesary? How much, in a scale of 1 to 10 do you think it helps?

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

He means to buy the RAM from a 3rd party how much is 8GB of RAM from online retailers that ship to Chille?

in Canada and US you can get 8GB of RAM with shipping for $40

16. eldaniel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4 gb for 60 bucks, either in one slot or two. So 8gb would cost 120bucks. For only 40 it would be insane not to get it. What 3rd party store do you recommend me? What do you think about macmall?

17. tarponbeach macrumors member

I bought Square Trade instead of AppleCare. $180 for additional two years, and it covers accidental damage as well.

18. iforbes macrumors 6502

Plus, when I bought it immediately from B&H along with my macbook, the total charge for applecare was around $95.

:)

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

newegg.com

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Another reason is that phone support dies after 90 days under regular warranty, but is for the entire term of an applecare contract.

21. TYPEII macrumors newbie

Yupe, 3rd party. Crucial.com is the way to go. It cost me $50 for 8GB of RAM. You can never have enough RAM, RAM is pretty cheap these days. Just have your friend get everything and then ship it to you.

22. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

No, check amazon, you can get 2 x 4.0GB DDR3 sticks for 40 USD with free super saver shipping.

Edit: Oops sorry, didn't realize you were in a different country.

23. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

If you want to save some money consider buying the sleeve off of Ebay instead of from the Apple store. It wouldn't be a name brand but it will serve the same purpose for much cheaper.

That's what I did for my iPad and (at least the one I got) is fantastic and I only paid $4.99 shipped and got it in 2 weeks. I'm sure a Macbook version would be essentially the same.

24. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You could buy a hardshell case. Those always come in handy, especially if you're prone to dropping things.;)

25. irod87 macrumors regular

So far I have only purchased a hardshell case. But it was a good purchase. Would recommend it to all MBP owners. I would also buy 8gb of ram from a 3rd party.