What to buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SHirsch999, Jun 4, 2011.

1. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody. This is kinda a generic question, but it does involve the iPad so I am putting it here. I currently own 2 computers, 1 a 2-yr old Dell laptop in great condition. The other is an old Dell desktop that is starting to go and I am looking to replace. My question is this - My budget is about $1500 to replace the computer. Should I get a good quality laptop as a desktop replacement, or should I get a good quality desktop (tower only as I already have an adequate monitor) plus an iPad? We do not do any intense gaming, but we do do some video and photo editing. We have wifi at home and are planning on getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out (next week ;)). Basically, we do not need a graphics-intensive, high-powered computer, and the laptop we currently have is more than enough for what we need, though some sort of 2nd PC is important for us at this point. Thanks in advance.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I say go for the tower + iPad combo. Best of all worlds in that scenario, can't complain about that, can we?

3. 184550 Guest

Do you need the PC?

For $1,500 you could get a great Mac Mini/ iMac/ Macbook from Apples refurb store and still have cash left over.

4. iLucas macrumors 6502

And with that extra cash, if you were to get a mini/macbook you could buy an iPad

5. SHirsch999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, quick responses. Thanks! I am leaning towards the tower + iPad combo. We do need the 2nd PC as we have 2 school-age kids at home who fight with each other, as well as us, over who gets to use the 1 truly working computer in the house. Also, while I realize this is not totally PC (no pun intended) on an apple forum, I will be getting a windows-based computer. My wife is not too computer-literate, and she would not be comfortable chaning over to another system (at least that's my excuse).

6. Plasmolyze macrumors newbie

Well if graphics aren't important to you then just get a cheap desktop tower and an iPad.

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

With two school age kids, definitely get the tower + iPad.

The iPad has a lot of great educational and edu-tainment software for kids, plus things like musical instruments (Garage Band is awesome for kids). You'll probably want to get a 2nd iPad next year.

Of course, asking if you should get an iPad in an iPad Forum is like asking a Ferrari dealer if you need a sports car...

8. JLemm macrumors regular

9. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I imagine the thread starter was being sarcastic judging by the winking smilie in his post.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I would definitely get the tower + iPad combo. You can use the tower as the central computer if you will with all you iTunes music, movies, books, and etc. To stream out to the iPad and iPhones with home sharing, which isnt that practical with a laptop. Also I would think it would be easier to manage what your kids do on the computer if it's a tower in an easily viewable location, like the family room, instead of a laptop that they can take into a room and close the door.

Good luck!