What to buy

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by themwhite3, Oct 10, 2013.

1. themwhite3 macrumors newbie

2. i%questions macrumors newbie

Guide?

This thread gives me chance to inform people that the beginner's guide on how to run Windows on Macs speaks in terms of: "Both of these methods will require the purchase of a FULL version of either Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista or Windows 7", not involving Windows 8. That should be added I guess. Because it can be used, can't it?

3. MJL macrumors 6502a

Go to the Apple website and check what version of bootcamp is supported on your MBP (you do not state what year it is). Some older machines will only support Windows 7 while the latest all support 8.

Next you have to ask yourself if you like the metro interface or the more "classic" desktop. Getting to that desktop is a bit of a irritation in Windows 8.0 but should be improved upon on 8.1 (coming out in just over a week) where you can set to default boot it in the desktop.

You need to know if you want to run both OS X and Windows at the same time or if you can live with rebooting the machine and selecting which operating system you want to use. If you want to run both at the same time then you'll need to purchase addtionally either Parallels or VMware. I did not like either of them and am running "natively" - in other words I have to reboot if I want to change. With a SSD this is not too much of a hassle.

Be aware that when OS X upgrades that you will need to buy a new license of Parallels or VMware.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Um...

5. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Since you are a student, you have a third option of downloading free server versions of Windows 7 or 8 after you register with Dreamspark. Take a look at your choices of free downloads here. The Windows Server 2008 R2 is the server version of Windows 7, the Windows Server 2012 is the server version of Windows 8, and Windows 2012 R2 is the Windows 8.1. Use the guides here to convert the server OS to workstation OS, and it doesn't cost you anything, just need to spend some time tweaking the system. Also these product keys are retail licenses and therefore can be transferred to another computer if you choose to.

6. themwhite3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice i bought windows 7 from amazon but i will explore other suggested options before using it and i might just return it to amazon