Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveing64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Stoke on Trent
Looking for some advice here I currently have an MBP 15" late 2008 which is now needs replaced the screen is coming away from the case and battery will not hold charge

Was thinking of getting the new Macbook when it comes out but not sure, its going to be used for work mainly running a filemaker database emails and pages and numbers and bit of web browsing.

As it been bought for business the price is not a problem so should i go for the new macbook or macbook pro 13"

Any advice appreciated

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
I think we're all just going to have to try and wait it out until April 10/11 when the first reviews are out.

I will get the new MB unless the reviews are absolutely horrific.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Looking for some advice here I currently have an MBP 15" late 2008 which is now needs replaced the screen is coming away from the case and battery will not hold charge

Was thinking of getting the new Macbook when it comes out but not sure, its going to be used for work mainly running a filemaker database emails and pages and numbers and bit of web browsing.

As it been bought for business the price is not a problem so should i go for the new macbook or macbook pro 13"

Any advice appreciated

I honestly think that it will depend on intended usage. Your usage sounds like the exact target audience for the new MacBook. Other users, who use a laptop for more graphically intensive applications, will need the air or pro lines. But I believe that the tasks you've mentioned will be easily handled by the new rMB.
That said, it's true that you won't truly know until the product hits the streets, and some reviews and benchmarks are released, or you at least have some hands-on opportunity.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Emails? Word processing and web surfing? The rMB can definitely handle that. But if you are not a road warrior who needs the thinness or battery life all the time, why pay the premium? You could absolutely do all these tasks with a much cheaper MBA.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

Any advice appreciated

Both the new MacBook and the standard MacBook Pro are capable for the work you'll be doing. Also the MacBook Air. Just choose the one you like. Do you want a thin lightweight laptop? Then go with the MBA or new MacBook.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wonder if you'd find the rMB display too small. Have you stopped by somewhere like an Apple Store or Best Buy to compare the 13" rMBP and 13" MBA to what you're used to? If you do, play around with the display resolution settings to see the range of available resolutions and how it affects your work area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.