What to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Danka, Sep 26, 2017.

?

I am new to Apple. I have always had a PC and now want to switch. But what do I buy?

1. written advice

2. personal experience

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Danka macrumors newbie

Danka

I am new to Apple. I have always had a PC and now want to switch. But what do I buy?

I am NOT a gamer. I want it for Facebook, email, word, searching the internet, and photo editing.

I don't know what would meet my needs: the MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro or just the MacBook?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

All three models will probably meet your needs.

What is most important to you?
    Price? Size? Battery life? Processing power? Storage capacity? Screen quality? Trackpad with Force Touch? Having certain ports? Backlit keyboard? Speaker quality?

Have you tried out the keyboards on the MacBook and MacBook Pro to compare to the MacBook Air? - if so, do you prefer one over the other?

Have you played with the touchbar yet?

3. Danka thread starter macrumors newbie

Danka

I have not tried the keyboard or touchbar. I know I want a back lit keyboard and battery life is important and so is screen quality. I don't like track pads.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well I'm pretty sure the apple trackpads will change your mind I prefer them to a mouse and struggle with any other trackpad.

If screen quality is important the air is out. The MacBook and the Mack book pro both have the same 2nd generation butterfly keyboard, and very similar battery life. I would be looking at the Macbook or the non touch bar MBP for your usage.

They will cost the about the same and your choice is basically extreme portability or a bit of extra performance and more ports and a slightly larger screen.

Personally it's the MBP all the way for me but that's just my opinion, I like a bit of performance overhead and a slightly larger screen.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

For your usage, I agree it sounds like the entry level retina MacBook and the entry level MacBook Pro without the touchbar will meet your needs (with the entry level MacBook Pro, you may want to upgrade to 256GB storage or more.)

Both have outstanding screens, speakers, multi-gesture touch pads, excellent battery life (with your usage, 10 hours of battery life is very doable), and are backlit. The MacBook Pro has more processing power and external connectivity capability (both with external hard drives and external displays), where as the retina MacBook is more portable. If you are a hardcore editor, the P3 gamut on the MacBook Pro may make it more attractive over the retina MacBook.

For media usage, you may also like the touchbar model. Trying one in a store before buying might be worth the trip IMHO.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The MacBook Pro 13" costs only a little more than MacBook or MacBook Air, yet its a much nicer machine. That's what I'd suggest.

If you don't need portability, look at iMacs as well.

7. theluggage macrumors 68040

"Bangs per buck": iMac 5k
    Extreme mobility: MacBook
    Low cost & legacy connectivity: MacBook Air
    What you probably want: MacBook Pro (non-touchbar)

The deal with the MacBook Air: it has a "standard definition" 1440x900 pixel display. Some people here act as though that will make your eyes bleed, but in reality it is reasonably good for what it is - but you can't get away from the fact that it doesn't hold a candle to Retina/4k displays. It has far better connectivity (with 2 good old USB-A 3.1 ports, Thunderbolt2/DisplayPort and SD card and separate charge), than the MacBook, (and more useful connectivity than the MacBook Pro if you're not planning to invest in Thunderbolt 3 peripherals or 5k displays). Consider if you're mostly going to use it on a desktop connected to a large display and/or you haven't already spoiled yourself with a 4k/Retina screen.

The deal with the MacBook: incredibly small and light. Not really that powerful - but probably OK for your list. Lousy connectivity (only one USB-C port that doesn't support Thunderbolt or USB3.1@10Gbps or any USB3.1 alongside a 4k display). Good standard storage (min 256GB). Consider if ultra-portability is your top priority and your life is mostly wireless.

The deal with the Non-Touchbar MacBook Pro: really, this is the new MacBook Air and "mainstream" Mac laptop. Connectivity a bit limited with only two USB-C/TB3 ports and adapters for breakfast - but that won't bother everybody and, unlike the MacBook, it does support Thunderbolt 3 and USB3.1@10Gbps so there's some gain to justify the pain. Base model is only 128GB SSD, so be careful when comparing.

The TouchBar MacBook Pros also have higher-power CPUs with more grunt and are more deserving of the "Pro" label.

Used/refurb 2015 MacBook Pros are worth considering if you're not ready for USB-C to enter your life.