What to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by twomiracles, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. twomiracles macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    I'm looking primarily at the Mac mini because I have a great monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse. I have 3 PCs at home, so the SuperDrive isn't a huge issue. Other than that, is it worth the $200 difference between the two minis? I plan to upgrade to 2GB of RAM either way. How much difference in performance is there really between the two machines?

    Thanks for help! I hope to be a Mac convert soon!
  2. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    If I were you I would wait until Jan.9 when there are expected updates to the mac mini.
  3. Mernak macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    I doubt it would be enough to justify spending the extra $200, slightly faster processor and 20GB hard drive space. I would just say get the cheaper one and get more ram and maybe an external drive if you need it.
  4. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

    Jan 3, 2005
    considering the current date I might wait to see if anything gets announced in a few weeks. Otherwise the 1.66 GHz seems quite the bargain @ ~$200 less.

  5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816


    Aug 14, 2006
    We're very close to MW '06. Steve needs to pull out the big guns this time becuase Apple events as of late have been VERY despressing. I would wait until Jan. 9th before doing anything. (Except breathing :p)
  6. 4JNA macrumors 68000


    Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    not worth the $200 in my opinion. you said 2gb either way which is the best way to increase performance.

    my vote would be 1.66, 2gb ram, and spend the extra money on a new 100gb 7200rpm hard drive. crazy fast machine.

    second choice would be the 1.83 for $699 at the refurb store, 2gb ram. crazy fast machine with a super drive.

    either is going to be a really nice system.

    oh yeah, and wait until after the 9th...just in case...
  7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    I'd wait a week or so, and then post this question again if needed. The Mac Mini may be updated in the coming weeks, so your question may be very different at that time, as others have said.

Share This Page