What to Buy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shfreelance, Jul 9, 2008.

?

What to Buy?

1. Blackberry 8330 Curve

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Audio

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Other?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Okay, I am stuck on what to buy. I really want one of two things, but can't have both. My budget is $300 give or take. I currently have a Blackberry 8830 (VZW), but the trackball sometime will not click. But it seems to be working find now, but I am afraid it will break. The trackball just will not click, but I can still scroll and use enter. But like I said, it seems to be working find for now. On the other hand I want a sound system. My old Bose Companion 3 speakers died 6 months ago. So I currently have no sound system and using the internal sound speakers on the iMac. While they sound very good for internal, there rather dual.

As far as the phone goes, I am eligible for an upgrade. I am only going to sign my contract for another year. Mainly because my signal where I live is excellent, but after high school I may move at west. So I may switch to a different carrier to get better signal. I graduate next year, so soon and can't wait. But I am looking at the Blackberry 8330 Curve. It seems like it will be more enjoyable then my 8830. Plus it will be new and comes with a warranty. I bought my 8830 on ebay..... But my phone seems to be working find now, I hear that VZW is so post to be signing a contract with RIM for an exclusive Blackberry within the 9000 Series. If they do it will come out around the holidays. So I may hold off until then.

But I also want a sound system. Since I love to listen to music and play the occasional games. Then enjoy a movie before I hit the bed. The sound can be a bit on the weak side. I do not know if I want a 2.1 or a 5.1 system, so I am open on this. I was told that Macs do not support 5.1? But I really like what I hear about the Logitech Z-5500 system, seems very kickass. But I do not know about paying that much for a system. I would rather spend $200 and buy some games. Any tips on this subject would be great?

But I am very opened minded and don't know what to buy. So help me out with this one.

~Steven

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

sorry your post is too long, can you summarize you post?
    i dont think anyone here will be interested in this post. FYI ;)

3. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ummm, Read? It's not very hard... Sorry if I seem like a jerk, but I like to read.

Basically, I can't decide if I want to buy a new Blackberry 8330 Curve or a new Audio system. I am currently using a Blackberry 8830, but the trackball is iffy and I am using internal speakers on my iMac.

As far as audio I do not know what I want, I am opened minded.

For anyone looking for a more detailed guide to help me better make up my mind. Please feel free to read the first post.

~Steven

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

can you get both?you said you have about $300 to spend? so
    i reccomend you getting the Harmon Kardon soundsticks 2, i own them and they are the BEST, really loud with awesome quality! i have bose too, i have them for my tv.. anyway they are $170, and then you are left with about $130 for your blackberry? can you get on for that price? if not try to get some other speakers or drop the blackberry (because you have one thats working okay)

5. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberry 8330 is $280, the trackball on the 8830 is iffy, but even if it stopped clicking it is still useable. It will be a bit on the annoying side, but useable.

How does the Harmon Karbon sound compared to Bose Companion 3? Also I should note, that my room is huge. It is a pool house. So it's a really big room and is all open. So for anyone who knows allot about sound, that should help. Plus my ceilings are really high, they are about 10 foot tall.

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i have a big living room where my harmon.kardon are with my tv, and its really loud, but in your situation both speakers will not be the best choice for you.. they are both great but i think for the price your should go with the HK.
    as for your pool house, any speakers that you will put inside will have an echo. try playing some music with something and see for yourself, if its fine then the HK should be a good choice. both have a really powerfull Subwoofer
    again those speakers look small but pack a powerfull sound.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My vote is for the Curve. Looks like an excellent phone.